Life > Academics

How to Show Kindness to Your Professors During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

I think people forget that professors are people too. They have families, friends, and a life outside of school, just like us. Especially during these stressful weeks of dead week and finals, do not forget to show your professors some kindness. Here are a few ways to brighten your professors day before the semester ends:

1. making a card

Maybe a holiday-themed card or just writing a quick note on a piece of paper saying, “Thank you for all you do.” This can be more work on your part, but I am sure the professor would greatly appreciate it.

2. Show up to class

You do not know how many times I have been thanked or gotten extra points for showing up to class on a day that no one wanted to. Now, I do not know if this will work for a bigger school, but if you have decently small classes, it could possibly happen. Showing up to class shows the professor you are ready to learn and care about what they have to say.

3. Go to their office hours

Talk to them and build a relationship with them, especially if you know you will have them again for another class. Showing your professor you care about your education will go a long way. This is also a great chance for you to network, as your professor could help you find an internship or a job for in the future.

4. interact in the discussions

During the lecture, be attentive, stay awake, and ask questions. This shows that you are listening to the professor and are not there just because you have to be.

Being nice to your professor doesn’t always have to be giving gifts or making a card. Showing your professor you care about your grades sets a good image in their head. Treating them with respect, but also building a relationship with them, can 100% help you in the long run.

It is a stressful end of the year for everyone, including your professors. When you are thinking about skipping class, remember these ways to show your professor some kindness during the holidays.

Hannah is a Mass Communications major with a concentration of Broadcast Journalism. She is a Libra Sun, Pisces Moon, Aquarius Rising. She is a lover of plants, crystals, astrology and anything crafty.