How Inktober 2018 is Going for a Procrastinating Artist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Every October, artist from all different backgrounds participate in the Inktober drawing challenge by doing 31 days of “pure ink” drawings for the entire month. The creator, Jake Parker, started the annual ritual for artists back in 2009 as a way to improve not only his, but others’ drawing skills and to help develop positive drawing habits. Inktober has been a phenomenon ever since. 

If you’re doing Inktober, there are certain rules you need to follow: 

1. Make a drawing in Ink
  2. Post it (as in, literally post it anywhere; social media, your refrigerator, etc, etc.) 
  3. Hashtag it with the Inktober tag #Inktober or #Inktober 2018
  4. Repeat!

Along with those rules, there is a set theme for each day that most people either use, ignore, or put their own spin on. And though, while you do need to follow the rules, creator Jake Parker, in the official Inktober page, wrote that, “…you can do [your drawings] daily, or go the half-marathon route and post every other day, or just do the 5K and post once a week. Whatever you decide, just be consistent with it. Inktober is about growing and improving and forming positive habits, so the more you’re consistent the better.

Those inspiring words are the reason why I bring up this wonderful art challenge, because this is my second years attempting, yes ATTEMPTING, to try and do all of Inktober. Last year, I made it half way but stopped on the 15th day. I didn’t stop because I got too busy or anything, but because I got lazy, and never went back to the list after October was almost over. To be fair, I did attempt to play catch up so that I wasn’t behind, however, my own procrastinating ways got to me and my art. 

This year, I decided to actually try and keep up with each day thus far. As of now I am officially done with 11 of the 18 days I need to do. 

[Drawing by: Bri Bell] 

Though I haven’t really posted any of my art on social media, I have shown my friends, which is considered sharing by the rules. And while I have fallen behind quite heavily— by my standards anyway— I think this year will finally be the year I actually finish Inktober.  

I’d like to encourage artists of all kinds, even those who aren’t visual artists, to try Inktober! I hope that this Inktober goes well for those who are doing it, and that your art is beautiful! 

Happy Inktober, everyone! 

Bri Bell was a writer for SFASU Her Campus. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Art cica 2019! She is an artistic woman with a passion for FIlm/Cinematogrpahy, as well as writing. Bri Bell tends to write about things she is passionate about whether that be about music, literature, politics, or even random anime recommendations. She is fairly easy going about what she writes, and attempts to stray away from any topics that could have any/all triggers.
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.