books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

How to Destress After an Exam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

I don’t know about you all, but my stress levels are always at an all-time high when exam time rolls around. Seeing as it is only the first few weeks into the semester, the two exams I’ve had thus far were my first exams of the semester. If you’re anything at all like me, maybe you’ve had issues unwinding after a major exam. I’m always anxious before and after taking an exam. “What if I failed?”, “I definitely could have done better” tends to run through my mind. However, I realized that this pattern of thinking is extremely unhealthy so here are the ways I destress after an exam:

1. Don’t look over notes after finishing the exam.

It’s so easy to want to look over your notes to see where exactly you went wrong on the exam. DON’T DO THIS! You’ll only stress yourself out and feel overwhelmed because you forgot simple material. For the sake of your mental health and self-esteem, resist the urge to look over your notes.

2. Go hang out with friends.

You’ve worked so hard to prepare yourself for the exam. Now that you’ve finished, it’s okay to hang out with friends! I tend to disappear from all my friends while studying for an exam, so my friends don’t get to see much of me during that time. Don’t neglect your friendships. Go out, have a game night, go to the movies with friends. You’ll feel better!

(Photo Credit: Google Images)

3. Go outside and enjoy the sun.

I feel better when I spend time outside. I like to go to the pool and just wade in the water. I also like to take long walks through nature trails and just take in all the beauty of the scenery. Even if you’re not much of an outside person, there’s so much to do in the great outdoors!

4. Have a DIY spa day.

Now that your exam day is over, treat yourself to a DIY spa day! What I like to do is the basics: I’ll give myself a manicure and a pedicure. I also like to take long, hot showers or baths to just unwind. You can also give yourself a home-made facial! I like to do mud masks. And the best part: All I use is bentonite clay and water! Mix these two materials together and voilà! You have a mud mask. I then take a foundation brush and spread the mud mask on my face. I let it sit 5-10 minutes and then rinse it off. Don’t forget to moisturize afterward with your favorite moisturizer!

5. Tidy up your room and workspace.

I know that when I’m stressed, my room is exactly like how my thoughts are: chaotic and unorganized. Take the time to clean your room and desk after taking an exam. You’ll feel better in a clean environment!

I hope that these tips have helped! Don’t stress too much over the exams. It’s still early in the semester so you have plenty of time to get your grades back up if you end up not doing so hot on your first exams. Remember: your worth is NOT tied to grades. Happy studying!

Brittany Malone is a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University where she is majoring in Psychology and is on a pre-med track. In her free time, Brittany enjoys reading books, writing stories, and obsessing over Treasure Planet. 
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.