Holidays Without Family? No Problem.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

As we all know, holidays are officially here for 2017. Now that everyone is over the high that is the Halloween spirit, it starts becoming about family time and let’s be honest, sometimes family time is the worst time.

Maybe you and your family have different beliefs- so you have to nod and smile despite wanting to re-enact every animal scene from Mean Girls.

Or maybe you just don’t have family, and that sucks, but then again, most people prefer to be independent. Whatever your reasons are for not going home for the season, here are some things you can do:

1. If you like your family and for some reason can’t make it home, use technology!

It’s easy to forget that we live in such an advanced world but for the holiday season, it can definitely be utilized! FaceTime or Skype your friends/family this season to keep in touch and feel apart of the experience. Even a minor phone call can go a long way in feeling less lonely.

2. Maybe people around you are in the same boat!

You might not be the only person in this situation, for whatever reason, tons of people skip out on the family time. So get together. Go do something fun- maybe a fall festival that serves turkey legs bigger than your head, or a friends-giving can definitely brighten your mood, and you can even enter the timeless Santa’s Land with friends. Just because you’re missing your family (or lack of one) doesn’t mean you can’t experience the holiday spirit with friends!

3. Surround yourself with your favorite things.

Maybe you have a favorite cookie, a favorite holiday movie, and a favorite mug. What does that make? A perfect night, experiencing all your favorite comforts. Snuggle up in the warmth of whatever is in your mug (because we all know it could me a hot chocolate night or a spiked Eggnog night) and enjoy the peace and quiet. Maybe even invite your favorite friends and have a great time just enjoying your life despite it not being the “traditional” season event.

4. Spend time alone

I know most make it seem like the world is ending if you spend a holiday by yourself, but why not try it? Before you know it, you yourself could have a family growing with your own traditions so an experience by yourself might make you savor the future more. Get some rest. Sing loudly by yourself. Paint or build something and destroy later if you hate it. Being alone at times can be therapeutic, so take advantage of it and do what you want to do. 

Whether you are alone because of your own choice or situational reasons, the holidays don’t have to be a burden if you don’t want them to. Look around your local scene as see what you can get yourself into. Some religious-based organizations at times have holiday events and even if that’s not your scene, you can definitely something that fits your needs.

Just remember you don’t have to spend it alone if you don’t want to, at this day and age, many people feel hesitate to go home. Just be sure to build an atmosphere you’ll actually want to be in.

Photo creds: Home Alone Movie Poster

From small towns in Texas with deep cajun roots, Catherine is an extreme football fan that craves spicy food. A proud fur-mom with way too much time on her hands is slowly but surely opening herself up to the world of writing amongst amazing women.
Andrea Gallier is a Journalism major and Dance minor at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. Her passions include: dancing, traveling, hiking, backpacking, camping, The Walking Dead, and (of course) writing. Andrea sailed with Semester at Sea in Spring 2016 and is an aspiring travel writer. She has also worked as a contributing writer at The Pine Log at SFA and is a member of Dimensions Contemporary Ballet, a dance company in Nacogdoches. Website: http://andreagallier.wixsite.com/portfolio Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat: @andreagallier