Here’s Why You Should Watch the Office Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Any of my family and friends could tell you that I love to laugh, and most importantly, I love watching things that make me laugh. The Office is one of those shows that makes me genuinely burst out into hearty laughter and—sometimes— even tears slip from my eyes because that’s just how hilarious this show is. I have yet to find another show that is as genius and comedic as this one.

If you don’t know what The Office is, let me share a bit of information with you. The Office is an American mockumentary-style sitcom that aired on NBC for nine years. It is an adaptation of the original British series of the same name that aired on BBC. This series follows the everyday lives of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company employees in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

I know there is this constant debate on social media about whether The Office or Parks and Recreation is the better, funnier sitcom. I truly believe that The Office is way funnier than Parks and Recreation. Just so that I don’t sound completely biased, I personally tried watching some of Parks and Recreation, and let me just say, I could only make it through an episode and a half. If you need further proof that The Office is the better show, or you just are intrigued about what makes it so funny, take a look at these quotes below and find out for yourself.

1) “Whenever I’m about to do something, I think, ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do not do that thing.” — Dwight Schrute

2) “That’s what she said.” — Michael Scott

3) “How the turntables…” — Michael Scott (This is honestly my favorite)

4) “There’s too many people on this Earth. We need a new plague.” — Dwight

Schurte

5) “Sometimes I’ll start a sentence and I don’t even know where it’s going. I just hope I find it along the way.” —Michael Scott

6) “Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.” — Michael Scott

7) “No, Rose, they are not breathing. And they have no arms or legs … Where are they? You know what? If we come across somebody with no arms or legs, do we bother resuscitating them? I mean, what quality of life do we have there?” —Michael Scott

8) “Every time you buy a Big Mac you set one ingredient aside. Then at the end of the week, you have a free Big Mac. And you love it even more because you made it with your own hands.” —Kevin Malone

9) “Call me as ASAP as possible.” — Michael Scott

10) “You guys I’m like really smart now. You don’t even know. You could ask me, Kelly what’s the biggest company in the world? And I’d be like, ‘blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah.’ Giving you the exact right answer.” — Kelly Kapoor

These are just a few of the many hilarious and very inappropriate moments that can be seen on this show. If you aren’t quite convinced just yet, then I suggest trying to at least watch the first episode of the series. Go do that and I promise you’ll laugh like crazy. It’s getting cut from Netflix next year, so go binge watch it as ASAP as possible!

A Creative Writing major who just wants to read, write, and live.
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.