This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

As the semester comes to a close, there are countless assignments, quizzes, essays, and projects we are all trying to get in order before finals. After coming back from Thanksgiving break, I felt an overwhelming sense of “senioritis”, to the point where I could barely study for one of my last exams before the final. Senioritis is known widely by students and parents as feeling a lack of motivation or unwillingness to perform during the final stages of high school or college. I honestly felt very motivated this entire semester, but something changed after coming back from our holiday break. Graduation is less that a week away (by the time this article is posted), and by then, I will only have one final left for the rest of my life! I wanted to share my struggles trying to get through the last few bumps of this semester while battling a lack of incentive.

With only finals and one project left for the semester, I have been trying to force myself to find time to study. I would have to make decisions that would help me stay less distracted and get me out of my comfort zone. I recommend staying at school after class and going to your favorite study spot on campus. Make yourself comfortable, grab a snack or drink, and get to work on what needs to be done. We all know that getting things done makes us feel ten times better because we can finally get it off our mind. Once we get our projects or assignments finished, we can focus on studying for our finals. Some colleges come back from Thanksgiving break to dead week and then straight into finals week. We don’t have time to waste when it comes to getting things done, so the earlier we can motivate ourselves to do them, the better it will be.

From a mental health standpoint, it’s important we all find the balance between work and play. At the end of the semester, sacrifices are sometimes made to get all of our assignments turned in. Something that I do to help myself stay positive through these last two weeks is scheduling. I will first figure out how much time I have in the next few days to devote to studying. Then, I start mapping out what I need to study or complete first prior to each class or test. If I have over three or four hours available to devote to studying, I try my best to fit in a break or two in between to make sure I don’t get burnt out. If you’re feeling overwhelmed with your assignments, it can help to take a step back, and write out when and where you want to study.

Knowing you have the ability to control your study time is key to getting through finals in my opinion. I know some people may reach a peak in their anxiety when they feel like they don’t have the time to complete or study for something. Just know that you always have the ability to manage your time, and that you are not alone! A small study group can go a long way in studying for finals, even if the people you are with aren’t studying for the same class. Just having someone around physically can be comforting to some. Please know that you will get through this finals season, and there is a plethora of helpful tips you can find in articles on HerCampus. Study hard and good luck!

I am a senior at SFASU, graduating in December 2021 with a bachelors in Animal Science. I want to be a Zookeeper when I get out of school because I have always had a passion for exotic animals. My favorite hobbies include painting and reading!