This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by: Sa’Maria Boyd

My favorite thing to do on any given day is to find a good book and get lost in it. I’ve read a great deal of different genres but I always come back to romance. There’s just something about getting lost in someone else’s love story that just makes my heart explode.  I’ve read a ton of romance books and picking out my favorites is just so hard. Below is a list of five, either a series or a standalone romance book, that I love and would highly recommend:

Photo via Google

It Ends with Us by Collen Hoover

I don’t even know where to begin with this book. It was by far one of the best books I’ve ever read. I cried, I laughed, I got mad and then I cried some more. The main character, Lily, makes you want to root for her to succeed and you fall in love with Ryle (he’s a good guy with bad ways), and Atlas (he’s literally the sweetest guy ever), Lily’s first love. It’s told from two different perspectives, you get the now of Lily’s life with Ryle (their love story), and you get the past of Lily’s relationship with Atlas through her diary. When Atlas suddenly shows up, it is trouble for Lily and Ryle’s relationship, and you’re trying to figure out if they can make it. This book broke my heart in two and then put it back together again. You can purchase it here.

Photo via Google

The Burying Water Series by K. A. Tucker

This series are all standalone books but they are all entwined with each other. The first book in this series is called Burying Water. It follows Alex and Jesse, their story is very dangerous because Alex has ties to the Russian mafia and getting involved with Jesse puts not only his life in danger but hers as well.

The next one is called Becoming Rain. This one follows Jesse’s roommates, Luke and Clara. Luke is targeted by Clara, who is an undercover agent, to get information on Luke’s uncle, who has connections to the Russian mafia. Along the way judgments get cloudy and everything that you think is real turns out to be a lie.

The third one is Chasing River. This one follows Jesse’s sister Amber all the way to Ireland where she meets River. River’s family has a connection to the Irish Republican Army (IRA), which is a political group that uses violence as a means to an end. Amber and River fall in love but River’s family connections to the IRA puts both of them in harm’s way.

The last one is called Surviving Ice. This one follows Amber’s friend Ivy and Sebastian. Ivy is a tattoo artist that is working for her uncle when she becomes the target of Sebastian, who works for the government in a secret capacity. Trying to uncover the details of Ivy’s uncle’s death, Sebastian and Ivy end up getting close and that is far more dangerous than anything else. This is a fantastic series filled with murder, mystery, and a side of steamy romance. All the books are linked if you’d want to read them.

Photo via Google

A Heart So Wild by Johanna Lindsey

If I’m a sucker for anything its’ historical romance. Johanna Lindsey can weave a story like no one else, including real events from the past and inserting amazing characters within. This story follows Courtney Harte and gunslinger, Chandos. Needing someone to take her to Texas to find her father, Courtney enlists the help of Chandos because she knows that he’ll protect her. There’s gunfights, a sassy female antagonist, a loveable male hero, and an all-around great love story set in the wild. I’ve read this book so many times, I probably have it memorized. This one is definitely one that once you’ve put it down, you’ll want to pick up back up time and time again.

Photo via Google

Infinity + One by Amy Harmon by Amy HarmonThis story is a modern-day tale of Bonnie and Clyde. The story follows Bonnie Rae Shelby, a superstar country singer, and Finn Clyde, a brilliant man looking for a purpose in life. Finn saves Bonnie’s life when she’s at her lowest forever making her grateful to him. With a crazy twist of fate.  Finn and Bonnie end up in situations that mimic things that the real Bonnie and Clyde did. When push comes to shove, Finn and Bonnie are tested and the choices they make can make or break them. I loved this book. There were times where I laughed out loud, and there were times where I cried. This is one that you’ll look back on and remember that even though someone’s life seems perfect, it doesn’t mean that they aren’t struggling.

Photo via Google

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

This one follows Sydney, a 22-year-old college student, and Ridge, her guitar playing neighbor. Sydney thinks her life is perfect until she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her. When she needs a place to go Ridge offers her a room in his apartment. Through music, Ridge and Sydney fall in love, even though Ridge has a girlfriend (he’s not a tool, I swear!). This book is heartbreakingly beautiful and you find yourself rooting for Sydney and Ridge. I loved this book, the side characters were funny and most importantly it teaches a great lesson about overcoming your fears and friendship. And a fun fact is that Colleen Hoover worked with musician Griffin Peterson to create an EP with the songs that Sydney and Ridge sing in the book. I 100% recommend this one.   

Here are some of my honorable mentions: The Off-Campus Series by Elle Kennedy (The Deal, The Mistake, The Score, and The Goal), The Ten Tiny Breath Series by K.A. Tucker (Ten Tiny Breaths, One Tiny Lie, Four Seconds to Lose, and Five Ways to Fall), The Pretty Series by M. Leighton (All the Pretty Lies, All The Pretty Poses, and All Things Pretty), The Beautifully Broken Series by Courtney Cole (If You Stay, If You Leave, Before We Fall, and Until We Fly) and anything by Johanna Lindsey.

These are just a few of the books that I’ve had the pleasure of reading. I can honestly say that each one holds a special place in my heart and I could never choose which one I loved more. Through this list, I hope that you are encouraged to read one or maybe all of these books. I promise that you won’t be disappointed!

Hello, I'm Kasharra Ashworth. I am in my third year at Stephen F. Austin State University as an Elementary Education Major. In my spare time I like to read (I'm a die hard romance fan), listen to music, play The Sims, and do/practice makeup. I am a granddaughter, a daughter, a sister, an aunt and a friend. Family means everything to me. I'm just a girl from a small town who wants to make her mark on this world.
Hey there Delilah..  I am a Mass Communication grad student. I work for ESPN3 and have 2 amazing pups, Pepper my hound mix and my doberman, Hercules master of the universe. I enjoy editing videos and the smell of clean sheets.