This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Looking for a summer getaway that’s not too far from home and doesn’t break the bank? Here are some of the best vacation spots in Texas that you can visit for a weekend getaway or a summer vacation extravaganza.

Garner State Park – Uvalde, Texas

The Frio River is this park’s main attraction that allows visitors to float down in tubes to relieve the sweltering summer heat. Travelers can camp in tents or in cabins and even go on hikes. This state park is also really cool because it hosts nightly summer dances (groovy, right?). Plus, this is only an hour or so drive from San Antonio, so if you travel to the big city, take a day to visit the park!

Downtown Fredericksburg – Fredericksburg, Texas

Located in the Hill Country of West Texas, this German gem is a fun getaway for the wine-loving, wildflower seeking history nerd. Visitors can learn a lot about the heritage of this town upon visiting, but the main attractions are the antique shops, wineries, and fun downtown life. Plus, Enchanted Rock State Natural Area is perfect for the outdoor vacationer who loves to hike, camp, and climb. 

Corpus Christi, Texas

This is the perfect destination for someone looking for a beach getaway that’s not too far away. Things to do here include visiting the Selena monument, the Surf Museum, the Texas State Aquarium, the USS Lexington, and North Beach, all of which will make for epic vacation destinations. There is also a ton of delicious food to go with the beach to make for a relaxing stay. 

Big Bend National Park – Big Bend, Texas

Another national treasure is Big Bend National Park in West Texas. About 10 hours west of Houston, Texas, this national park is a desert landscape that allows visitors to see Santa Elena Canyon, South Rim, and Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive. Not only is there a chance to see unique wildlife, but travelers also get to watch that beautiful Texas sunset with a spectacular view. 

Guadalupe River State Park – Spring Branch, Texas

One of the most fun vacation destinations is the Guadalupe River, where visitors can camp and float the river to get out of the summer sun. There are a lot of hiking trails and even a discovery center and shopping area, making this fun for the whole family! Campers also have the opportunity to partake in various ranger programs, where they can learn about birding, geocaching, stargazing, and much more!

Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park – Tyler, Burleson, Kerrville, Canyon Lake, Texas

This family friendly camping experience is not only educational, but brings the national park experience to the family with some added fun. Waterparks, campfires, and Yogi Bear are not the only exciting features of Jellystone – they have mini golf and sports complexes to play your favorite sports with the family! Plus, there are multiple parks across the U.S. and Canada, so the fun isn’t just in Texas!

Riverwalk – San Antonio, Texas

The Riverwalk in San Antonio, Texas, is a place where everyone can find something fun. The wide array of restaurants, shops, and more all make this place one of a kind and a relaxing and fun getaway without escaping civilization. Plus, the area is influenced by the Mexican culture, so some food and festivals teach visitors about our Mexican neighbors. Travelers can also take a riverboat tour to add to the fun!

No matter whether you like city vacations or outdoor excursions, Texas has multiple vacation destinations that can fit your specific vacation style. So, while planning your summer getaway, keep these places in mind, you never know what new adventures are in store for you this summer!

My name is Haley Garrelts and I'm an English major with a double minor Spanish and Linguistics at SFA! I love to write and read and Her Campus is awesome!
Hello, my name is Sa Maria Boyd. I am a Louisiana native raised in the beautiful city of Fort Worth, Texas. I am a really fun person ( at least I'd like to think). I graduated high school in 2015 from the wonderful Western Hills High School. In my four years there, I was apart of the Color Guard, Key Club, Senior Board, My goal is to travel the world and learn about different cultures so that I can help the world become more unified. I am currently attending Stephen F. Austin State University where I will be receiving my Bachelors of Arts in Mass Communications with a minor in Psychology in May of 2019. While I have been in school, I have held the positions of Social Media Director/Vice President for Her Campus SFA, and Vice President for the 6812 Chapter of the NAACP. I have also worked on the Crew, the television production organization for the Mass Communications department, KSAU 90.1--The Axe, and all three shows for SFA TV2.