This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by Deja Williams

Okay so look, I know, it sounds morbidly disgusting. Facial masks are one thing. They’re supposed to be relaxing and soothing. Certain masks smell like lavender, chamomile or for the more adventurous type, red wine. But snail snot? Ick! But I took one for the team a few days ago just to give it a try. Snail masks originated in Korea but have found their way to the western hemisphere, and for good reason. 30 percent of its contents consisted of filtered snail mucus, or if you want to sound sophisticated: snail secretion filtrate. Doesn’t that sound sexy?

So one night, after I built up the courage, I decided to go for it. I kept telling myself, “It’s just snail juice, don’t be a baby.” I ripped open the package, and after washing away any dirt, I slapped it on my face. When I took it out of the packaging, not going to lie, it was a bit slick and slimy. Not so much where I couldn’t hold the mask properly or anything, but it was slippery to the touch.

The directions said to smooth it onto your face and leave it there for about 15 to 20 minutes, so I did just that. During that time span I drank lemon water and read a book. When it was time to take it off, I peeled back the sheet. I was thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly, surprised. You know that glow you get after you spent a well-needed night with bae? Or when you go on vacation and return with that sun-kissed look? Well, that was my face. It felt so smooth, almost like I exfoliated it. And it looked hydrated, rejuvenated, and just bright. I honestly believe that everyone should give it a shot even though it has an icky name. I promise that you won’t be disappointed with the way it makes your face look godly!

I'm a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University, currently majoring in Multidisciplinary Studies with the drive to one day become a novelist and a nurse.