Encouraging Words for First Year Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Coming to college is a very fun and exciting new experience. Many get their first taste of freedom, as well as the opportunity to start anew in a different environment. College can also become lonely and very stressful, I know that in my very first year I became very homesick quite easily. I had never really been on my own and I had a very young niece and nephew at home who I was missing them grow up, which broke my heart. I even went home after the first week and cried when I came home to my family. After a while it did get better and I would try to only go home once or twice a month but it was still kinda hard, especially when I was overwhelmed with trying to balance a social life and keeping good grades in school.

Nevertheless, I made it through my first year of college, through the sleepless nights studying, the long hours practicing my music and hurting when my friends were hurting. I did it. So, if anyone else out there needs some encouragement, just know that there will be a lot of good times and some bad, but you can do it.

Hi I’m Abby I’m a Music major at SFA ?? I love makeup, movies, singing , reading , and writing Three things I can’t live without are my Friends, Family, and having Fun “ Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened “ -Dr. Seuss
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.