This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

This is my absolute favorite time of the year next to Christmas, EARTH MONTH! April is meant for people all over the world to help the environment and to show the importance of protecting it and all that comes with it; whether it’s us, animals, plants or our air. It is super important that we all protect the Earth we live on because it’s our only one. Many people believe that our planet is actually in its normal condition, but it’s not due to pollution, plastic waste, animal extinction, deforestation and so much more. Hindering events are becoming more frequent in today’s society. With that being said, there are many ways to help protect the Earth and all the inhibits living on it, including us. Here is how you can take that next step to help your Earth and remember, every little bit counts.

Reusable Bags

I can say for the longest time this was my weakness because I never wanted to pay for a bag when I can get a free one. Sadly, I saw this video of a whale’s stomach filled with plastic bags and other plastic waste. I began to realize that I was contributing to the problem. So, I bought 5 reusable bags with cute designs and use them every time I go out shopping.

Water Bottles are a NO-NO!

I feel everyone at one point can admit to being guilty of this one and that’s okay until you realize a lot of those bottles (that we forget to even recycle) end up in landfills or the ocean. Neither of these options are good because firstly, plastic takes many-many years to decompose and secondly, as stated before, a lot of plastic in the oceans ends up eaten by animals. So, go out and get a cute reusable bottle and, if you want to help even more get a water filter.

Save Water

This is a big one, especially for some people. There are many communities around the world who are suffering because they don’t have clean or enough water for their families; places like Flint, Michigan, some parts of Venezuela, India during their drought season and especially parts of Africa. A lot of us tend to take our clean water for granted but that is wrong on our part since many people are suffering. This step is so easy, it can be as simple as cutting your shower time, or even turning off the faucet when brushing your teeth. Like I said every bit counts. 

Use Reusable Silverware

This is something I pledge to do this year after my friend showed me a video of a turtle (ONE OF MY FAVORITE ANIMALS) had a straw stuck up its nose. From that moment, I try my absolute best to not use any plastic silverware/utensils, even if I am getting my food to-go. I even bought reusable straws and silverware to take with me where ever I go.

Carpooling is a TREND

This one is my favorite because I am constantly doing it. This is a huge help to fight off air pollution especially for big cities, try to take more people in one car. Plus, it’s a fun time to hang with friends and enjoy a small road trip with them. 

Wands for Wildlife

This is for all my homies who throw out their mascara wands. There are many organizations around the world who started this program of using old mascara wands to clean wildlife, including the Appalachian Wildlife Refuge. You can find out more information here.

Our environment is an important part when it comes to our survival so try to take the time to learn about it and how you can help because EVERY BIT COUNTS. And if you want to learn more on April 22, it will officially be Earth day so see if anywhere around you has events for this special day.

Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.
Hello, my name is Sa Maria Boyd. I am a Louisiana native raised in the beautiful city of Fort Worth, Texas. I am a really fun person ( at least I'd like to think). I graduated high school in 2015 from the wonderful Western Hills High School. In my four years there, I was apart of the Color Guard, Key Club, Senior Board, My goal is to travel the world and learn about different cultures so that I can help the world become more unified. I am currently attending Stephen F. Austin State University where I will be receiving my Bachelors of Arts in Mass Communications with a minor in Psychology in May of 2019. While I have been in school, I have held the positions of Social Media Director/Vice President for Her Campus SFA, and Vice President for the 6812 Chapter of the NAACP. I have also worked on the Crew, the television production organization for the Mass Communications department, KSAU 90.1--The Axe, and all three shows for SFA TV2.