Dogs Aren’t The Only Cuddly Pets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Two summers ago, I was absent-mindedly scrolling through Facebook market, sitting in my car, procrastinating going into work. I was just about to get off the app when I saw a picture of the tiniest little lizard, sitting in the palm of someone’s hand, and the advertisement said, “bearded dragon for sale-I bought it for my son’s birthday and he lost interest in it.” 

I had never been a reptile person before, so I’m not sure why this tiny dragon caught my attention and why I immediately wanted it so badly. After work, I got home and spent my whole evening researching bearded dragons, what they were, what they ate, what they needed from their caretakers, and two days later, I was the owner of this strange creature and had no idea what I was to do with it.

I felt like a literal new mother, the excitement wearing off, and anxiousness creeping in. For the first time, I was fully responsible for another being’s life, and at that, a little bearded dragon. I decided to name her Rosie and spent every moment of my free time with her. Everyday, I was learning more and researching further, to know how to take care of her to my best abilities. 

As I spent more time with my little Rosie, I fell more and more in love with her. She loved to cuddle up and fall asleep in my hands or would wiggle her way up to my neck and make herself as comfortable as can be. While I did have to get used to watching my adorable dragon gobble up worms, it was obvious I made the right choice in taking the chance to get a reptile for a pet, instead of the usual dog or cat.

At first, my family and friends thought I was weird as could be and were extremely cautious around Rosie. But eventually, everyone warmed up to her. When I first brought her home, my mom declared me crazy and vowed to never come around my dragon. Two weeks later, she was tucking her into bed with a special lizard sized blanket and pillow my grandma had sewn for Rosie…she was already more spoiled than me. 

I know a lot of people reading this will have the same mindset my mom had when I first brought Rosie home, but if you give her a chance, I promise she will win your heart with her little dinosaur walk or the way she cuddles when she’s sleepy and wants to gain your human warmth!! Getting Rosie is the best decision I have ever made.

Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.