Dear Music Majors, Misery is Not a Degree Requirement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Music majors, you do not have to be miserable to earn your validity as a dedicated musician. Yes, you should push yourself, and yes, you should make sacrifices in order to reach your goals. However, if you’re working to be the absolute best version of yourself, that should include striving to be your healthiest self.  Your art won’t matter if your mind and body aren’t present enough to fully experience it.

If you’re struggling as a music major, you are not alone. We have chosen to pursue a difficult, demanding and competitive field of study. It is common knowledge that the practice room also functions as a place to cry and nap. When we auditioned for the School of Music, we accepted that we would face certain obstacles.

Photo courtesy of Daina Phillips for Her Campus at SFA

We anticipated some of the hard work we had to put in like practicing diligently and studying well. But sometimes the challenge is knowing when your body is telling you to stop practicing for the day. Sometimes the obstacle is reconstructing your professors’ hurtful words into healthy productivity. Sometimes the obstacle is creating a schedule that gives you time to breathe. Sometimes it’s simply remembering to eat and sleep. Sometimes it’s swallowing your pride to admit you’re not okay and that you need help.

Many of my classmates had to sit out of concerts because of music-related injuries. One of my friends in the School of Music had to take an exam right after coming out of the emergency room. A lot of us are struggling with physical ailments as well as poor mental health conditions, and we could use some space for healing.

We need to start taking care of ourselves and each other. We should also stop romanticizing the idea that our musicianship relies on our tortured souls. The “starving artist” stereotype was dawned on us by people who don’t think we’ll have careers after college. It doesn’t have to be our reality.

According to Alex Smith from NPR, many professional video gamers are now hiring personal trainers and striving for physical fitness. Their training involves yoga for posture, improving reflexes, and cardio for stamina. They play better because they’re healthy, feeling the best, and ready to perform. Some of Vincent Van Gogh’s most famous paintings like “The Starry Night” emerged from his time in Saint Remy de Provence where he admitted himself to an asylum in pursuit of mental healing. Your best work is most likely to come out from your physical and mental well-being.

All your experiences, including your physical and mental illnesses, are valid factors in your musical expression. However, bringing pain upon yourself for the sake of art is not only inauthentic, but it is also harmful. You can’t fully focus on your art when your basic human needs have not been met.

Additionally, don’t put your misery on other musicians in attempt to obtain wellness. Competition can be a healthy source of motivation, but the only thing that can accurately prove your proficiency as a musician is how you play. Let your performance speak for itself. If you must confront your peers, remember there is a huge difference between destructive and constructive criticism. Plain talking smack doesn’t make anyone a better musician – including the one talking smack. Let’s start listening to each other and build each other up.

The path we’ve chosen is hard enough as it is. Don’t add more obstacles to your path or someone else’s.  

Arabella Villanueva is a Filipino-American Music Education major at Stephen F. Austin State University. She performed with SFA Orchestra of the Pines and is a member of Pi Kappa Lambda. She was also an executive member of the SFA Renew chapter of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. Arabella enjoys making playlists, crocheting, drawing, and quoting Parks and Recreation. Rumor has it that there's a song about her written by the Arctic Monkeys and an opera composed by Richard Strauss. Instagram: @ad0rabella
Hey there Delilah..  I am a Mass Communication grad student. I work for ESPN3 and have 2 amazing pups, Pepper my hound mix and my doberman, Hercules master of the universe. I enjoy editing videos and the smell of clean sheets.