This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Dating in college sucks, but when you are shy, it is even worse. When I am out and I see someone cute I cannot automatically flip a switch and become flirty like some people can. Instead, I just create these narratives in my head of these complete strangers that do not even notice me. In high school, it was so much easier for me to go up to guys and talk to them. I guess because I had grown up with them for most of my life. But now I am absolutely terrified to go up to a guy I find mildly attractive. I just hope that maybe they feel the same about me and reach out, which they never do.

I try to remind myself that one day (hopefully) I will find someone. Heck, I don’t even want to be in a relationship, I just want to go on a date where the guy doesn’t expect anything after. It is literally the bare minimum.

I get in my head and start thinking if I looked this certain way or if I was more outgoing, I would be liked more and get noticed more. But reality is I am not like that, and I cannot change who I am. Most of the time I feel like a bystander, I rely on others to hold the conversations. So maybe I am not putting enough effort to be asked on a date? But why should I be the only one that puts in effort though?

I have used the dating apps like Tinder and Bumble, but they aren’t worth it either. I wait for guys to text me on there after we match, but they never do. And sometimes when I get bold and decide to text them first, they never answer. I know a lot of people have found their partners on there so that is the ONLY reason I keep it, for a small chance I might actually meet someone.

If you have ever felt this way or you currently are, remember you are not alone. We all deserve to find someone that likes us for who we are.

Hannah is a Mass Communications major with a concentration of Broadcast Journalism. She is a Libra Sun, Pisces Moon, Aquarius Rising. She is a lover of plants, crystals, astrology and anything crafty.