This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

For cheese lovers who don’t know how to do cheese, this article is for you. Learning how to pair cheese with different fruits and meals can be a hard process, but you’re in luck because I’ve already done enough trial and error to let you know ahead of time. Keep reading to hear about my favorite cheeses and try them out for yourself!

Goat Cheese

• Pears

• Purple Grapes

• Brussels Sprouts

Goat cheese is a smelly cheese that needs something mild to balance it out (as most cheeses do). Surprisingly goat cheese can be both sweet and savory. For the sweeter side, pears and purple grapes are the perfect go-to’s, especially with pita chips to give it the saltiness as well. Brussels sprouts give it a more savory flavor, but I prefer the fruits with this feety cheese.

Aged Cheddar Cheese

• Envy Apples

• Pink Lady Apples

• Honeycrisp Apples

Aged cheddar is less soft than goat cheese, but it has a distinct flavor that doesn’t really make it pleasant to eat on its own, but adding a sweet, crunchy apple makes it much more enjoyable. My favorite apples with it are the ones listed above, but try your own favorite apple with it and add a bowl of nuts to the mix as well to balance the sweet and salty.

Brie

• Cherries

Brie is soft, mild cheese which makes it nice to pair with cherries, because they can have a bit of a tang along with their crunchy texture. Other non-mild fruits with a crunch would also go with the cheese, and brie is an easy cheese to experiment with so don’t be afraid to go all out.

Blue Cheese

• Pears

• Peaches

As a sharp, smelly cheese, sweet fruits are for sure wanted in this pairing. I wouldn’t recommend something too soft like watermelon, but peaches are soft, sweet, and juicy, making it a nice contrast with the cheese. Pears give it a nice crunch if that’s what you’re craving. I wouldn’t recommend anything too tangy with this cheese because it has a really strong flavor already.

Smoked Gouda

• Tomatoes

• Bacon

Smoked Gouda is a really savory cheese, so eating it with meats like sausage or bacon is usually pretty tasty. It also pairs well with tomatoes, which means you can broil a some gouda on top of sliced tomato on top of a slice of a bread of your choice for a delicious, savory snack.

Greetings, earthlings. My name is Natalie and I am a lover of all things non-routine. A senior Radio/TV Broadcasting major at SFA, I enjoy running races, Netflix & Hulu binging, and traveling on short weekend getaways that I convince myself I can afford. I serve as Her Campus SFA's Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief.