This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Each year, from October 1st all the way through October 31st, hundreds of millions of people gather to support and raise awareness for this deadly disease. Across the nation, many people participate in breast cancer walks/runs, volunteer their time at breast cancer events, and donate their money towards research for a possible cure for this illness. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic and COVID-19 restrictions, people cannot physically get together in big groups to support the cause this year, and the movement itself has sadly been overshadowed by the Coronavirus and the chaotic 2020 presidential election.

There has just been so much going on in October —and in the world in general—that Breast Cancer Awareness has been pushed to the back burner behind everything else. So, for this week’s article, I wanted to shine a much needed and deserved light on Breast Cancer Awareness and give you all some notable facts about the disease. Despite this article being posted at the start of November, I still believe it is important to discus and spread awareness for this cause no matter what month it is.

Many of these facts are common knowledge while a lot of them may come as a shock or surprise to you. It is my hope, especially for any young women reading this, that you may learn something new and useful after reading this quick list.

Did You Know?

1 in 8 women in the United States will develop breast cancer at some point in her lifetime.

Did You Know?

That men can get breast cancer too. It’s very rare, but still worth the discussion. 1 in 1,000 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer in his lifetime.

Did You Know?

That, except for skin cancers, breast cancer is the most common type of cancer found in American women.

Did You Know?

There are over 3.5 million breast cancer survivors in the United States alone.

Did You Know?

According to the American Cancer Society—or the ACS, when breast cancer is detected early on, and is in its early stages of development, there is a 5-year relative survival rate of about 99%.

Did You Know?

That you—yes you should practice early detection by getting/preforming breast exams on a monthly basis. This is a great routine for younger women to fall into the habit early on so that way once a young woman starts aging more (and the chances of being diagnosed with breast cancer increase) they have grown accustomed to self-examinations and professional screenings such as mammograms.

Did You Know?

Each year it is estimated that about 200,000 American women will be diagnosed with breast cancer, and more than 40,000 will die from it.

Did You Know?

That every 2 minutes a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer in the U.S., and every minute, globally, a woman dies from this horrible disease.

These facts are just a few key points and aspects regarding breast cancer in America. I encourage you all to take this information in and further spread the awareness to others who may not be as informed about this cause. Below are links to helpful websites and resources concerning Breast Cancer Awareness.

https://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/

https://breastcancernow.org/get-involved/breast-cancer-awareness-month

A Creative Writing major who just wants to read, write, and live.
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.