Bob McNair Needs to Fire Himself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

The Houston Texans fell to the San Diego Chargers 21-13 Sunday afternoon in typical Houston Texans fashion.  Quarterback Brock Osweiler threw for 246 yards, zero touchdowns and three interceptions and looked clueless in the process. Many Houstonians are in rage over the play of their abysmal quarterback, but I’d like to point out that it isn’t entirely his fault.

During the offseason the owner of the Texans, Bob McNair, was determined to find a franchise quarterback after his team was embarrassed 30-0 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in the playoffs last season. He was so determined that he was willing to cough up a 4-year/$72 million contract to the backup quarterback of the reigning Super Bowl champs Denver Broncos without even meeting with him.

Osweiler started seven games for the Broncos last year and went 5-2 during that span. To his credit, he didn’t play terrible. He was benched in the final regular season game after struggling in the first half against, ironically, the San Diego Chargers. Future Hall of Famer, Peyton Manning, came in and led the team to a championship.

Outraged by being benched in favor of a future Hall of Famer, Osweiler signed with the Texans and now they’re stuck with him for at least the rest of this season and next season. The contract Osweiler signed only guaranteed him two years and $36 million. 

So far this season Osweiler is ranked 27th in total QBR, but is getting paid like a top-tier quarterback. He doesn’t seem comfortable in Bill O’Brien’s offense. Most of his throws are difficult to catch for the receivers who either have to lean back or reach over their head to catch a pass.

To put icing on the fruit cake that is the Houston Texans, Bob McNair extended GM Rick Smith’s contract. In his 10 season as the general manager, Rick Smith has had over eight different starting quarterbacks. None of them has led the team pass the second round of the playoffs. Clearly, that’s not his strong suit so why did McNair trust him to make this decision?

Meanwhile, Tom Savage, who was drafted in the 4th round of O’Brien’s first season as head coach, has yet to get any meaningful playing time and real shot at the starting job. He’s been in the offensive system for three seasons now and probably has a better understanding of it than the $72 million trashcan that is Brock Osweiler.

If Bob McNair really cares about the Houston Texans success, he should look in the mirror and notice the real problem: himself.

Hey, my name is Tyler Johnson and I'm a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University. I'm a staff writer for Her Campus SFA. I like to write and run, but not at the same time.
Hi! My name is Andréa Tinoco. I am a senior at SFA, majoring in journalism and minoring in general business. My position at Her Campus SFA is the Campus Correspondent as well as Editor In Chief. My passions include writing, reading, running and yoga.