The Best Recipes for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

One of the best parts about the holidays is the plethora of delicious food that makes us all merry and bright. My personal favorite are the desserts, so I decided that I would share my favorite holiday dessert recipes so that your celebrations will be the talk of the season!

Photo courtesy of LaShauna Bell

Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies

These chocolate chip cookies are the best in town and are always gobbled up the quickest by family around the holidays. Here’s what you’ll need:

1. 2 ¼ cups of un-sifted all-purpose flour
  2. 1 teaspoon baking soda
  3. 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
  4. ¼ cup granulated sugar
  5. ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
  6. 1 teaspoon vanilla
  7. 2 cups (4 serving sizes, small box) vanilla instant pudding
  8. 2 eggs
  9. 1 6oz. package of chocolate chips

Here’s how to make it:

Mix flour and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, eggs, both sugars, vanilla, and pudding mix. Mix until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually add in flour mixture a little at a time. Stir in chips. Batter will be stiff. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. 

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

For all of you chocolate lovers out there, this one’s for you! This cookie recipe will have you in chocolate heaven. Here’s what you’ll need:

1. ½ cup vegetable oil
  2. 4 oz unsweetened bakers chocolate, melted
  3. 2 cups sugar
  4. 4 eggs
  5. 2 teaspoons vanilla
  6. 2 cups flour, sifted
  7. 1 cup powdered sugar
  8. 2 teaspoons baking powder
  9. ½ teaspoon salt

Here’s how to make it:

Mix first 3 ingredients well. Blend in one egg at a time until well mixed. Add vanilla. Mix salt, baking powder, and flour slowly until well mixed. Chill dough in the refrigerator overnight. Roll teaspoons of dough in firm balls, drop into powdered sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on a well-greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Makes 50-75 cookies, so eat up!

Photo courtesy of Google Images

Chocolate Pie with A Graham-Cracker Crust 

Looking for a recipe that’s sure to be a hit at the family Christmas party? This recipe is really simple and is a Christmas classic with the perfect combination of silky pudding with a cracker crust. Here’s what you’ll need:

1. 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (about 13 rectangle graham crackers)
  2. 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  3. 6 tablespoons butter, melted (add a pinch of salt if unsalted butter)
  4. 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  5. ¾ cup brown sugar
  6. 1/3 cup cornstarch
  7. ¼ teaspoon salt
  8. 3 cups milk
  9. 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  10. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  11. 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
  12. 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
  13. ¼ cup powdered sugar

Here’s how to make it:

For the crust, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter until evenly mixed. Press the mixture in the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake the crust for 8 minutes. Remove and let cool completely. Cover with saran wrap until ready to use (this can be made several days in advance if kept well-covered). For the pudding layer, in a medium saucepan, whisk together the cocoa powder, brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add the milk and whisk to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue to whisk as the mixture comes to a boil and large bubbles break across the surface and the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Scrape the pudding into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap pressed directly on the surface. Refrigerate until chilled and set up (2-3 hours). In a blender or an electric stand mixer (or with an electric hand mixer), whip the 3 ounces cream cheese, 2/3 cup cream and 1/4 cup powdered sugar together until thick and creamy. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold this mixture into the chilled chocolate pudding until combined. Evenly spread the pudding mixture into the prepared graham cracker crust. At this point, you can cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 days (the crust will get slightly soft if it’s made in advance, but it is still delicious) or go ahead and top with the whipped cream mixture and refrigerate for an hour (up to 4 hours) before serving. For the whipped cream layer, whip the 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream and 1/4 cup powdered sugar together until soft peaks form. Gently spread the whipped cream over the top of the pie and garnish with chocolate curls, sprinkled toffee bits, a dusting of cocoa powder – or whatever your heart desires. Serve chilled.

Photo courtesy of Google Images

S’mores

This is a fan favorite and it’s simple! People of all ages love a good s’more and is perfect to cozy up next to the fire with someone special. Here’s what you’ll need:

1. Fire
  2. Hershey’s chocolate bars
  3. Graham crackers
  4. Marshmallows
  5. Marshmallow roasters

Here’s how to make it:

Break graham crackers in half to make two equal-sized cracker squares. Break Hershey’s bars into similar sizes and place a piece of chocolate onto one graham cracker square. Poke the marshmallow with the marshmallow roaster and hold over the fire until golden brown or reach the desired color of the person making it. After this, place the roasted marshmallow onto the graham cracker square and then remove the roaster. Place the other graham cracker square on top to make a sandwich. Enjoy!

Photo courtesy of Google Images

Cinnamon Rolls

This is a Christmas morning tradition for my family, where we wake up to the smell of cinnamon rolls baking in the oven. Plus, cinnamon is a great classic holiday taste. Here’s what you’ll need:

1. Pillsbury cinnamon rolls
  2. Well-greased cookie sheet

Here’s how to make it: 

Heat the oven to 400 degrees or 375 for a dark, non-stick pan. Grease the pan. Place rolls in pan, cinnamon topping up. Bake 13 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.

Photo courtesy of Google Images

If your goal is to have a simply sweet holiday season, these recipes will guarantee that you’ll be the life of the party. No matter if you’re cuddled up next to the fire or sipping coffee with family on Christmas morning, these treats are bound to spread the cheer. I wish you all happy holidays and happy eating!

My name is Haley Garrelts and I'm an English major with a double minor Spanish and Linguistics at SFA! I love to write and read and Her Campus is awesome!
Hello, my name is Sa Maria Boyd. I am a Louisiana native raised in the beautiful city of Fort Worth, Texas. I am a really fun person ( at least I'd like to think). I graduated high school in 2015 from the wonderful Western Hills High School. In my four years there, I was apart of the Color Guard, Key Club, Senior Board, My goal is to travel the world and learn about different cultures so that I can help the world become more unified. I am currently attending Stephen F. Austin State University where I will be receiving my Bachelors of Arts in Mass Communications with a minor in Psychology in May of 2019. While I have been in school, I have held the positions of Social Media Director/Vice President for Her Campus SFA, and Vice President for the 6812 Chapter of the NAACP. I have also worked on the Crew, the television production organization for the Mass Communications department, KSAU 90.1--The Axe, and all three shows for SFA TV2.