Friends Walking Together 4
Friends Walking Together 4
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

The Best Advice I Was Ever Given

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

I get involved in many projects, and my one-track mind gets overly involved. I like to describe my brain as a crazy person with a conspiracy theory board. Or a detective’s murder board where seemingly random bits of information are connected by red strings, and sticky notes are crammed in there with a sideline of thought. My problem is I don’t know when to stop, or when I am being too much.

It was more than a year ago that I was texting my best friend telling her how I was putting together a binder of my work for a mutual friend of ours. I asked her how extra should I be. I wanted to make it look like an actual book with an introduction page and everything.

What she told me has stuck in my brain ever since then. She said, ‘be so extra’. Now every time I think about how much effort I need to put into a project I hear her voice in my ear telling me to do the most. She is there pushing me to do more than I ever thought I could do.

This girl I met on the playground at five years old. She has pushed me to be the best version of myself in a way no other person could ever. The moment I mentioned wanting to go back to school, she was ready with a list of schools that provided majors I was interested in. We’ve been inseparable for eighteen years held hands through girl scouts, field trips, the loss of family members, and graduation.

I think everyone deserves a friend like her.

So, when you think you need a friend to encourage you. When you feel as though you are done and want to throw in the towel. When you need these words just remember: be extra, be so extra.

Arianna is Texas raised. A junior at Stephen F. Austin in the creative writing department. Having had publications in the charity chapbook Remedy of Water, the proceeds donated to the California wildfires.