This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

When you go to school in the oldest town in Texas, you notice that new restaurants aren’t something that happen often here. So when I learned that we were finally getting a new restaurant in Nacogdoches, I knew I had to go.

Barkeeps Eatery and Taps is an Asian-inspired restaurant owned by Nikil Reddy– he also own’s the popular Maklemore’s Ale House and Bistro.

Barkeeps is located at 3308 North Street. The restaurant has an open atmosphere that makes its customers feel relaxed, as well as lots of televisions so people can eat while enjoying their favorite sports games. The food ranges from Indian to Japanese and all the Asian flavors in between. They also have an extensive drink menu for those of you who enjoy a cocktail or beer every now and then.

Barkeeps truly has something for everyone. The food on the menu is clearly labeled showing vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options. A few of the house favorites include chicken curry and tandoori fried chicken. You can view the menu here.

Photo by Lexus Jacobs

My boyfriend and I decided to check it out a few days after they opened and were seated immediately. Our waiter was very kind and the food arrived quickly. For an appetizer, we had samosas — one of my favorite foods. The samosas were stuffed with potatoes, peas and spices and served with mango chutney and sweet chili sauce. They were authentic tasting — just the right amount of spice and absolutely delicious and fresh.

Photo by Lexus Jacobs

For our entrees, my boyfriend got the pork ramen and I got the cauliflower tikka. I didn’t taste my boyfriend’s food because I don’t eat meat, but he said he was surprised at how good it was. He had never had authentic ramen before so he was skeptic turned into a believer. The ramen had shredded pork shoulder, a soft-boiled egg, green onion, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, bok choy, fried garlic,bean sprouts and fresh basil.

Photo by Lexus Jacobs

My cauliflower tikka was creamy, spicy, and flavorful. It consisted of roasted cauliflower in rich, spicy tomato sauce, served with basmati rice. I also really enjoyed the fresh garlic naan bread on the side.

Photo by Lexus Jacobs

Sadly we were too full for dessert no matter how heavenly the mango creme brulee sounded — we’ll just have to try that next time. We left the restaurant feeling stuffed and happy, and already began planning our next trip back for date night.

If you’re looking for a cool spot with unique food and a chill environment, definitely check out Barkeeps Eatery and Taps.

Pop punk enthusiast. Concert photography. Aspiring music journalist. The definition of a music nerd.
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.