sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Anime, Cosplays and Fun Times, Oh my!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

This past Halloween weekend, I had the chance to go to the annual Oni convention (also known as just Oni-con), and ever since, I’ve just been wanting to share my experience with my readers!  

Imagine, going to Galveston, TX, and as you’re driving near the seawall, you notice groups of people in costumes. You spot a Princess Peach in a onesie, you see a bundle of Disney Princesses taking a group photo on the beach, as well as other color characters you’ve never seen before in your life. You gaze in wonderment as you see all these people, all unique in their own ways, go inside the Galveston Island Convention center.

That is Oni-con.

Oni-con is a Japanese pop culture and multi-genre fan expo that has been going on for the past fourteen years; It transpires in late October. It has been successful considering that people come to the convention annually. Oni-con was the convention, a gateway, to me attending other conventions to this current day. I went this year, excited because it was my first time going in four years. I remembered Oni-con as being petite, not too many people came, but it was enough that I reminisce about all the fun I had.  

While, I was not able to attend the first day (driving from Nacogdoches to Houston is a long drive), I was able to attend Saturday and Sunday. Additionally, per being the nerdy-geek that I am, I had prepared two costumes—better known as cosplays, for my weekend at Oni-Con.     

Saturday, I went to the convention as Lance McClain from the Netflix series Voltron: Legendary Defender, and had a blast. Did I mention I dressed as him, but in a onesie?

**All Photos By Bri Bell 

My friend and I spent majority of the time at the convention in the Dealers room. For those who don’t know what that is, let me explain. It is a large space in a convention center that becomes a marketplace for said con. As AnimeUSA says, “[You can get] everything from industry dealers to small businesses and independent retailers. The Dealers Room also features merchandise from guests, and…convention artists,” along with some other additives.

The place is an actual black hole where all your money disappears to, but you get cool stuff.

Again: Saturday I spent with my friend, exploring the Convention’s Dealers room in full detail, and enjoying the time I had there. I took nearly two dozen pictures while I was there, even recording some video of my experience, finally back at the convention that started it all. I even ended up going to a nearby Kroger to buy food and meet other cosplayers enjoying their meals. They all seemed exceedingly excited to be there at the con and were genuine with their joy. As the day dwindled down I went to the beach, where I spotted Disney Princesses taking a beach photo, as well as other cosplayers running around in the sand. In the end, I ended up being Lance McClain running in the sand with those other Oni-con attendees. It was a fantastic way to end that Saturday.

Sunday came, and I headed back to the convention, ready to spend more money than I did the day before. That day I dressed up as Phichit Chulanont from a popular Fall 2016 anime, called Yuri! On Ice. My friend dressed up as a corresponding character from the same anime, which together garnered us a lot of attention. Once more, we traversed to the Dealers room, and bought what we could that was on sale, even buying our other friends back at SFA some merchandise.

Oni-con was an amazing experience for me to relive, and gain more memorable moments from. I would love to go back next year, and maybe bring more friends to experience it with! I would also like to encourage those who are curious to go ahead, and go to a convention. You may have more fun than you anticipated.

Bri Bell was a writer for SFASU Her Campus. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Art cica 2019! She is an artistic woman with a passion for FIlm/Cinematogrpahy, as well as writing. Bri Bell tends to write about things she is passionate about whether that be about music, literature, politics, or even random anime recommendations. She is fairly easy going about what she writes, and attempts to stray away from any topics that could have any/all triggers.
Hey there Delilah..  I am a Mass Communication grad student. I work for ESPN3 and have 2 amazing pups, Pepper my hound mix and my doberman, Hercules master of the universe. I enjoy editing videos and the smell of clean sheets.