This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

All over social media I see the word “adulting” referring to the tasks or chores that we must do once we have become adults. Our generation has used this word when finishing a task such as doing your own taxes, paying for your own rent, etc. It is obvious that we put this word in quotations because many people our age are not prepared for the adult world. Sadly, there are many things that we must do but, we are never taught how to actually do them. It is incredible to see people our age not have a clue how to do certain things, but who can blame them? We live in a world that is going faster than we can control, and sometimes there’s not time for our parents’ or our education to teach us how to completely “adult.”

Here are a few things we don’t learn in school but are expected to know how to do:

1. Budget your money

Unfortunately, not everyone has the chance to take a Money Matters course in high school or even in college. It is extremely important to learn how to budget your money and be able to save money. There are so many apps and resources that can help you budget your money, it’s just a matter of taking the time and doing some research. There comes a point that it won’t be acceptable to ask our parents for rent money or grocery money.

2. Do your taxes

Yes, taxes can be a bit stressful and confusing but this is a must do, obviously. If you have no clue how to file your taxes, you should find someone who can prepare them for you. Talk to your parents for advice, or use online services such as Turbotax, which is usually free for people our age. 

3. Understand and keep up with your credit score

This is a big one that can be a major issue if you don’t understand or take care of. It is very important to understand that: However much money you spend on your credit card will have to be paid and will also effect your credit score. Yes, your student loans will appear on your credit report. Credit Scores can be the deciding factor when buying a car, getting a mortgage, etc. Make sure to research and be smart about the debt you collect because these things will effect your credit score. One major app is Credit Karma, which allows you to check your credit for free and also makes recommendations of credit cards and loans to obtain. 

4. Sending mail 

Personally, I for some reason struggle sending mail; I definitely have to ask my parents for help on this one. Yes, it is so simple yet so necessary, especially when having to pay a bill or sending a letter to someone. Just know it’s OK to ask other adults, or even people who work at the post office, if you don’t understand.

I’m not saying go learn all these things or you will fail as an adult, but be aware that these are concepts we as adults must know because they are necessary and extremely important in order to make life run smoothly. No matter what you know (or don’t know) just realize that you are an adult. You have chosen to get an education and have grown independent just by being in college. If there are things up there that you have no idea about, or honestly freak you out, go ahead and do some research, or even ask someone who can “adult” a lot better than you.

My name is Tanya Moreno and I am a Junior International Business major at SFASU. I love to travel, and hope to be able to travel in my future job as well. I am very involved on campus and sometimes it can be too much for my own good. I am definitely a go-getter who loves Pinterest, my best frienf family and my job.
Hi! My name is Andréa Tinoco. I am a senior at SFA, majoring in journalism and minoring in general business. My position at Her Campus SFA is the Campus Correspondent as well as Editor In Chief. My passions include writing, reading, running and yoga.