9 Interesting Valentine’s Day Facts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

It’s February, which means that over-priced chocolate and flowers are flying off the shelves, and people are scurrying around for that perfect gift for their boo. Amongst this aroma of love, some people must be wondering if there’s anything about Valentine’s Day that’s interesting besides the hearts and roses.

Here are some interesting facts that should get you through this Valentine’s week:

Photo by: Ashlyn Eustace

1. 15% of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day. Well…self-love is a thing, and while it is kind of sad, to each their own you know? (source wisebread)
  2. According to the condom company Durex, condom sales are highest around Valentine’s Day, which are 20–30% higher than usual. Use protection this Valentine’s, and have fun! ? (source: wisebread)
  3. Singles Awareness Day! For all the single people out there, don’t be sad because you can celebrate Singles Awareness Day (SAD) instead. It’s an anti-Valentine’s Day, and while it can be celebrated on Feb. 14, most consider the official date to be Feb. 15.
  4. A lot of Heart Candies! There are enough candy hearts made each year to stretch from Valentine, Arizona to Rome, Italy and back again. The number of candy hearts produced is approximately 8 billion. (source: softschool)
  5. 141 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged annually. This makes Valentine’s Day the second-most popular greeting-card-giving occasion. (source: Hallmark research)
  6. Men spend almost twice as much on Valentine’s Day as women do. This year, the-average-man will spend $156, while the average woman will only spend $85. (source: wisebread)
  7. Your Valentine can be your pet! Who said your Valentine had to be someone you’re romantically involved with? Spend time with your pupper or your smol kitty, and give them the affection that you know they deserve.   
  8.  Flowers, chocolates, and cards aren’t the only thing given on Valentines, erotic gifts are given too! According to MSN, “Erotic boutiques see their sales rise as Valentine’s Day approaches. They say one sex toy is sold every minute in the days leading up to February 14.”
  9. Valentine’s Day in a different culture. In Japan, on Valentine’s Day, women are expected to give their significant other chocolate and other gifts. Then on March 14 —called White Day— men give chocolates and gifts to their partners. It’s cool how diverse cultures are! This tradition was started as a marketing campaign by Japanese chocolate companies. 
Bri Bell was a writer for SFASU Her Campus. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Art cica 2019! She is an artistic woman with a passion for FIlm/Cinematogrpahy, as well as writing. Bri Bell tends to write about things she is passionate about whether that be about music, literature, politics, or even random anime recommendations. She is fairly easy going about what she writes, and attempts to stray away from any topics that could have any/all triggers.
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.