5 Staples You Need On Your Vegan Grocery List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Recently I made the decision to eat on a plant-based diet and I’m loving it! Although initially finding things to eat is hard, it becomes so much easier when you realize that most of the stuff you like can be found in vegan form or is already vegan (like oreos)! If you’re just starting your vegan diet here are 5 things that you need on your list!

1. Hummus

Hummus mashed chick peas mixed with some sort of oil and seasonings. It makes for a delicious dip that you can use with pita chips, pretzels, or vegetables! It makes for a really good snack or appetizer for your vegan meal. I personally enjoy Sabra’s Red Pepper Hummus. They make other flavors like garlic and original as well!

2. Black Bean “Burgers”

Black bean patties are DELICIOUS and make a great burger substitute. It’s usually made out of black beans, maybe some corn, seasonings, and an assortment of other vegetables. The one’s I buy are Chipotle Black Bean Patties by Gardennburger.

3. Almond Butter

Not only is it delicious but it’s vegan too! Put it on top of a rice cake or some toast and it makes for a great breakfast or snack!

4. Fresh fruits and vegetables

The most obvious but most important part of a vegan diet are the fruits and veggies! Use them in a salad, pair veggies with hummus, or make a fruit salad for a great vegan meal or a snack!

5. Oreos

Most people don’t know that Oreos are vegan but they are! They can work as a quick snack or a dessert like treat! You could even dip them in peanut butter like from the Parent Trap!

Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.
Hey there Delilah..  I am a Mass Communication grad student. I work for ESPN3 and have 2 amazing pups, Pepper my hound mix and my doberman, Hercules master of the universe. I enjoy editing videos and the smell of clean sheets.