4 Black Artists to Listen to this Month and Every Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

February is Black History Month, which celebrates the achievements of African Americans and recognizes their central role in United States history. Today I am sharing with you 4 black artists you should be listening to this month and all year around.

Steve LAcy

Born in Compton, California this Alternative R&B artist is one of my favorite musicians of all time. His top song on Spotify right now is “Dark Red”, which I believe was popular on TikTok for a while. He also has some great underrated songs such as “Atomic Vomit” and “I Think I Should”.

Kevin AbStract

A Texas native, Abstract is known for being a founding member of the popular band BROCKHAMPTON. His music ranges from alternative rock to hip-hop. His music touches on relationships, drug-use and coming out of the closet. His most popular song on Spotify right now is called “Peach” but some of my favorites of his are “Mississippi”, “Runner” and “Empty”.

Solange

Another Texas native and sister to Beyoncé, Solange is an amazing artist with a range of music including R&B and pop. At the moment her most popular song on Spotify is “Almeda” but some of my favorites are “Dreams” and “Stay Flo”.

Willow

Born in Los Angeles, California to the famous Smith family, Willow has always grown up around music. Her music ranges from punk rock to pop and R&B. Her top song on Spotify right now is “Meet Me At Our Spot”, which gained traction on TikTok. A few other songs of hers became popular on TikTok including “Wait a Minute!” and “transparent soul”. My favorite songs of hers are “Time Machine”, “Female Energy, Part 2” and “Warm Honey”.

Whether you have heard of these artists or not, go check out my recommended songs by them; their music and vocals are unbelievably incredible. In the month of February, try to broaden your range of music you listen to whether they are these artists or not. During Black History Month, I urge you to check out some amazing African American musicians. Find artists like this you want to listen to all year around. Happy listening!

Hannah is a Mass Communications major with a concentration of Broadcast Journalism. She is a Libra Sun, Pisces Moon, Aquarius Rising. She is a lover of plants, crystals, astrology and anything crafty.