What to do When You Get the Flu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Sewanee has been hit with a big wave of the Flu this year and we wanted to make sure you guys were being taken care of, here is our how to for dealing with the flu this season!

So, you wake up one morning and your head hurts, you can barely move, and you are so tired and then it hits you…crap, you have the flu! So, now what?

CALL YOUR MOM

I don’t know about anyone else, but when I get sick, all I want is my mom. So, why don’t you make her day, and you get a little piece of home comfort and call your momma!

MAKE A DOCTORS APPOINTMENT

So, you think you have the flu, you have got to go to the Wellness Center. The Wellness Center is easy to call and will do everything they can to see you as soon as possible to get you in. The Wellness Center will diagnose you, get you the medication you need, and they will give you a note that excuses you from class.

EMAIL YOUR PROFESSORS

After you have been to the Wellness Center, you need to email your professors and advisor and let them know that you are sick. I promise that they will understand! You and your professor will individually make out a plans to keep you caught up once you are back on your feet!

GO TO CVS

You can do this before or after you have emailed professors but it’s good to get your prescriptions filled and stock your room with soups and foods to get you through your sickness. This will allow you to not have to venture to clurg while you are getting better. 

DISINFECT!

Once you are back in your room it’s time to do a little disinfecting. This is especially important for when you are living with someone else. You don’t want to make them sick too so try not to touch “common areas” as little as possible. 

TAKE A SHOWER

To ease the shivers and your muscles, take a long hot shower.

TIME FOR BED

You need a ton of rest and fluids to help you wait out your sickness. Try not to stress too much and just get some sleep! 

FEEL BETTER!!!!

SaveSave

Darden is a Junior Psychology major with a Women and Gender Studies minor. She's from Charlotte, North Carolina and is obsessed with pandas. Her favorite color is blue and she loves surprises.