What Classes Are Left to Sign Up For?!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Face it, you have already gone through 2 rounds of class registration and you have no idea what to sign up for next. Either the class you were dying to have filled up in the first 2 days, or you don’t know what class to take outside of your major. Everyone goes through this desperation of finding a class at one point or another, but the beauty of a liberal arts education means that you can explore classes outside fo the field you are studying.  Therefore, if you are at a loss for what to sign up for this coming Sunday and Monday for classes 3 and 4, think about what you have always been curious about. Do you love helping other people in your classes study for tests? Maybe try out an education class! Do you love taking pictures of people (or even selfies)? Try out one of Pradip Malde’s enlighting photography classes (I hear he’s teaching a collaborative class with Humanities called “The Self and Selfie”!) Do you want to be the next great poet? Maybe a fun intro level Psychology class is for you! Truth is, you can’t go wrong with any of the classes Sewanee has to offer – and if it isn’t a subject you that you would typically take, we have amazing professors and fellow classmates to guide you along the way. Maybe by trying a new class, you will find a new hobby you love! 

If you are unsure where to start in looking for those last 2 classes, don’t worry! I have asked a number of current Sewanee students and alumni what their FAVORITE classes have been at Sewanee (and some answered things outside of their major!) Sadly many of the classes they suggested were either already full (due to the obvious high demand), or the professor is on sabbatical this year.  Whether or not the particular class they loved is being offered this semester, there is always something similar to it whether it is with a different professor a different class taught by the same amazing professor! I hope you come out of registration this Sunday and Monday feeling confident about the classes you have chosen. More than anything, know that all of Sewanee classes are a gem in their own way and all have something special they can offer you for your future! 

Women and Gender Studies

Math

• Calculus 3 with Dr. Drinen “the class was so cerebral and it has always been my favorite class because everyone was so supportive of each other and Drinen made class so much fun.” – check out: Multidimensional Calculus

History

Art/Art History

Languages

Sciences

• Nutrition 180 Professor Gray – check out: Principles of Animal Nutrition and Metabolism
  • Anything with Dr. Moore or Dr. Bachman – check out Histology and Microanatomy with Dr. Bachman
  • Environment and Development with Thea Edwards – “It’s eye opening about how we live interacts so much with our growth and development. I can’t look at antibiotics the same!” – check out: Introduction to Environmental Studies with Smith or McGrath
  • Forests: Food, Medicine, & More. with Dr. Kuers – “Everything about this class was fun: lecture, homework, even studying. 15% of our grade was a class meal that everyone participated in by collecting things from the forest. I learned a lot, had fun and made friends while doing so.” – check out Urban Forest Management

Anthropology

Education

Religion

Politics

Psychology

English

Philosophy

• Peterman taught a Daoist philosophy course which I really liked” – check out: Chinese Philosophy

SaveSave

SaveSave

Madi is a Senior from Asheville, North Carolina. She has written for the Sewanee chapter of Her Campus since it was founded her Freshman year, and hopes to continue writing after graduation either as a journalist or through work in Public Relations. She loves laughing and hearing people's life stories!