Tips and Tricks to Keep Your Hair Out of Trouble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Spring break is just around the corner and I know that when it comes to my hair routine, I want it to look easy breezy and beautiful ;) Here are 7 tips I have for you amazing ladies out there.

If you have teeny tiny pieces of hair that cannot be held back by a hair tie or a bobby pin, try spraying hairspray on a toothbrush and brushing your small flyaway hairs back! I wish I had known this when I was in 7th grade!

For those of you that frequently curl or straighten your hair, did you know that hair holds heat styling a lot better when it is not freshly washed? The oil acts as a natural hairspray.

Dry shampoo comes to the rescue on days where I have too much work to do or am too tired to wash my hair, even though I know it needs to be washed. My all time favorite product is the Psssst dry shampoo! I have black hair and when I use it, you can’t see it in my hair! (that’s pretty impressive) They come many different scents as well as unscented.

In the past, I used to feel like my hair my hair was too dry and even frizzy after washing it. I learned from my mom to only put shampoo on my scalp instead of throughout all your hair, and let me tell you, it has changed my hair routine for the better. It makes sense because oil is only produced from the scalp and when you wash the shampoo out, the runoff will gently wash out the dirt from the rest of your hair. Now my hair is less dry and amazingly smoother. Also give your hair a little extra time to absorb conditioner into your hair. What I like to do is leave it in my hair to work its magic while I move on to shave my legs, wash my face etc.

Drinking lots of water is not only good for the body, but is good for hair too! It will help keep your hair hydrated and even help support hair growth! So easy and *free* !

Spraying bobby pins with hairspray or dry shampoo will help it grip to your hair better. My friend says her bobby pins used to slide out of her hair all the time throughout the day, but this trick works like a charm! Also did you know that the wavy side of the bobby pin goes down?! The wavy part is designed to grab the hair and the straight part holds it down.  

Do not rub your hair in between a towel after a shower. Apparently it can damage the outer layer of the hair, causing it to look frizzy and potentially lead to more breakage. Air drying is the least damaging, but if you are going to use a hair dryer, avoid choosing the highest temperature. The extra time it takes by using the cool temperature, will be gained back through having silky, smooth hair!

*BONUS TIP* If you’re like me and lose all your hair ties all within a month, use a carabiner to keep all your hairties organized and together.

Good Luck!

XOXO

SaveSave

Displaced New Englander who loves the outdoors, sweet tea, sunsets, dogs and the beach.