Spotlight on Her Campus Staff: Callan Ghareeb C’2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Meet our amazing writer! 

Name: Callan Ghareeb

Hometown: Charlotte, NC

Year: 2020

Major: Politics and Women’s Studies with a Minor in Classics

Sorority: Kappa Omega

Favorite Netflix show: That 70’s Show

Most Embarrassing Song on Itunes/Spotify: Trap Queen by Fetty Wap

If you had a theme song that played every time you walked into a room, what would it be: The Middle by Jimmy Eat World

What would you do if you had a million dollars: Travel anywhere and everywhere

If you had to leave the house with only one item of makeup on, what would it be: Mascara

What do you look for in a boy: Sense of humor and good dental hygiene. I’m a sucker for good teeth.

If you could swap lives with one person for a day (dead or alive), who would you choose: Emma Watson; she will forever be my hero.

Favorite snapchat filter: Bunny face

Favorite McClurg food: Fried breaded cheese ravioli. They’re basically just mini mozzarella sticks and I love them.

Favorite class you’ve taken: Women and Gender in Classical Antiquity with McCarter

What’s on your Sewanee Bucketlist? To visit Templeton. Everyone says it’s so cool and I want to see it for myself so badly.

What made you want to write for Her Campus? I signed up for it at the activity fair. I wanted to get involved around campus and have always loved writing and reading Buzzfeed articles so I figured this would be perfect for me.

What has been your favorite article? I wrote an article last week about my experience at the Women’s March in Nashville and I loved it. It’s something I’m really passionate about so I really enjoyed reading it and getting the opportunity to share it with others.

Where would you like to see Her Campus go in the next 3 years you are at Sewanee? I would love for us to get to the point where we have too many people wanting to write articles every week. Right now we have a great group who are always happy to write, so that’s great, but it’d be amazing if we could go over our required number every week.

Where do you get your inspiration/confidence from? Confidence truly comes from inside. It’s super important to accept that other people’s opinions of you don’t matter. Whenever I feel other people are bringing me down, I remind myself that my opinion of me is the only one I should care about. There are so many inspirational women out there right now that preach self-love and body confidence and I think that’s absolutely amazing. 

Whats your biggest piece of advice for Senior girls thinking about coming to Sewanee? Sewanee is a magical place. There are so many amazing people here: students, professors, and faculty. Everyone wants to make sure that everyone else has the best possible time here, which was a big part of my decision to come here. You have to think about where you’re going to be happiest and where will provide the best experience. Just because somewhere may be better academically doesn’t mean it’s the best place for you. 

SaveSave

Madi is a Senior from Asheville, North Carolina. She has written for the Sewanee chapter of Her Campus since it was founded her Freshman year, and hopes to continue writing after graduation either as a journalist or through work in Public Relations. She loves laughing and hearing people's life stories!