Sober in Sewanee: Tips, Tricks, and Thoughts on the Partying Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Leaving for college is an exciting time: the freedom of being on your own, the beginning of your future career, and for some, the easy access to a party scene. Granted getting a little wild can sometimes be a good thing – it’s liberating to go out and have fun after a stressful week of classes, but for the few individuals here at Sewanee that don’t normally surround themselves with the late night partying and drinking, it can feel a bit paralyzing. Coming to Sewanee I wasn’t hugely unaware of the reputation it holds as a rowdy school, but I honestly overlooked it because of the beautiful location, academics, and small stature. As someone who personally doesn’t like to drink, I never really mind being around other people drinking because it’s not only their decision, but it can also be lots of fun. Whether you’ve had one too many rowdy nights for the week and need a night off, or if you’re just not really into the whole alcohol thing (everyone has considered it after tasting Aristocrat),  the up side to living in the Sewanee bubble is that there are lots of adults, students, organizations, and activities to help make use of the domain for those who aren’t feeling like spending their night with a red solo cup.

1.     Surround yourself with people from both ends: You should never judge a person, more importantly a friend, based on whether or not they like to party, likewise they should never try to pressure you into something you don’t feel comfortable with, and if they’re true friends they will accept that. I do think it is key though to surround yourself with a healthy mix of friends who do and don’t drink, if you’re not heavily interested in the partying scene. It’s great to have someone to share your thoughts and concerns with that will understand. 

2.     Be one with nature: The great thing about Sewanee is it’s not like we are exactly stranded up here left to fend for ourselves and resort to Netflix (although Netflix is always a plus). There are so many exciting opportunities to take advantage of here in our very own backyard. Fortunately, the SOP sends weekly emails about upcoming outdoor adventures: caving, rock climbing, hiking, etc. One weekend convince yourself and your friends to take up one of the activities the SOP is organizing. There are thousands of activities to help you be one with nature and take sight of the beautiful domain that’s available to you!

3.     Weekend Escapes: If you, your roommate, or friend have a car I highly suggest taking a weekend trip exploring the wonderful state of Tennessee. Chattanooga, only 40 minutes away, is a great pit stop to have lunch, take advantage of the great shopping centers, and access to Target (praise). Feeling more adventurous? Fun weekend stops such as Nashville, Knoxville, and Gatlinburg are only a few hours away full of fun activities and historic sights.

4.     SUT: Living on the mountain it is hard to see the latest new releases of films, so the SUT (Sewanee Union Theater) is a great place to watch new, and old, films and take you away from reality for a few hours.

5.     Have Fun! Just because college can seem like a whole other planet, you shouldn’t change your beliefs or wants just because of the desires of someone else. And if you want to indulge then have fun and stay safe.

There have been many stigmas surrounding drinking in college and it’s always a scary thing to confront for the first time by yourself. I’ve gotten a lot of commentary as to why I choose not to drink: a mixture of confused faces, “whyyyyyy’s’, and the typical avoiding. I’m not saying that alcohol is bad in anyway, I’m not saying we should resort back to prohibition, and I’m not saying that I will never in my life have a glass of wine or a beer. In addition, you shouldn’t judge people because they do drink. My first weekend here I went to a party (where I’m pretty sure i was the only sober one there), but it was full of bright young men and women who had there whole lives planned out, who wanted to be biochemists, marine biologists and lawyers, heck I can’t even decide what i want for breakfast in the morning.

Just remember: it’s okay if you don’t want to go out every weekend if you don’t want to, and it’s okay if you do. Drinking or not drinking, you should never feel pressured to do something you don’t want to do.

Stay Safe & Stay Warm! YSR!

Jennie is a Sophomore from Williamsburg, Virginia. she's fond of classic films, Jane Austen, bulldogs, and dressing up. She considers Audrey Hepburn and her mom to be her biggest role models.