Sewanee Swim Team Spotlight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

As Sewanee’s men’s and women’s swim teams prepare to close their season, I spoke with a few members of the teams to get their thoughts on the 2015/2016 season. 

The 2015/2016 Men’s and Women’s Sewanee Swimming and Diving Team. 

Emily Gay (C/O ’17) says that the most memorable part of this season was their training trip over Christmas Break to Ponce, Puerto Rico. “It is special because we spend ten days together in paradise and work hard and bond…it really is a huge part of making us a team,” Emily says. Emily is looking forward to their upcoming swim meet (and their last swim meet of the season) because, ” we watch our teammates swim fast and see all their hard work pay off.”

Members of Sewanee swim and diving enjoying a sweet treat in Puerto Rico.

Bonnie Wakefield (C/O ’19) reflects on the community she found in her first season apart of the Sewanee Swim team, “Being on the swim team gives me an automatic family and support group…it’s really special to see how we all enjoy each other’s company.” When asked about her hopes for the future of the Sewanee swim team Bonnie looks forward to seeing how the team grows and changes.

Senior Will Ralston has bittersweet feelings as he prepares for his final meet for Sewanee, “It’s really weird to think that you will be done doing something you’ve done your whole life for the last time…I’m just going to try to enjoy it and get some closure on the sport.” Will also speaks about the bond the swimming and diving team shares, “I’ve made a lot of really good friends on the team…it would be hard to be movitated in swimming without good teammates and coaches right there with you.” As far as what he will miss most about being apart of the Sewanee swim team Will says he will miss his “coaches, teammates, and the pool for sure…and the competition, it’s going to be hard to replace that.” 

Sewanee Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Team will be finishing up their season in Birmingham, AL February 10th-13th. If you see a member of the team on campus, be sure to wish them luck and congratulate them on a great season!! YSR