Profile: ZABI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

“Zabi” is a word from the Hausa language meaning “a choice”, and that is exactly what alumna Hannah Gallagher C’16 is trying to accomplish through the company she founded. One day, Hannah stood in line for 30 minutes in a Walmart pharmacy, surrounded by sick people, just to pick up her birth control. She jokes that “like a true millennial,” she called her mom to complain about how she “couldn’t simply order it off Amazon.” Little did she realize how much would come from that one frustration.

What is Zabi?

Birth Control Distribution offering AUTOMATIC REFILLS and FREE DELIVERY of your birth control prescriptions! All you have to do is go to ourzabi.com and sign up… meaning no waiting in lines at CVS or Walmart.

This seems too good to be true! Can it be real?

Yes! They have partnered with a fully-licensed independent pharmacy in Estill Springs, TN (Bradford’s Pharmacy). Here, they fill your birth control and ship it to you. Once you sign up, they do all the work of transferring your prescription and will send you an email confirmation when your birth control has shipped.  And they carry different varieties of contraception as well – all types of pills, patches, and rings. And they accept most insurances! This is all FREE unless you have a co-pay currently (which means you will need to pay them through an easy-to-pay online invoice system). 

What you can expect in the mail:

• plain envelope (inconspicuous and accessible from your mailbox!) that just says ZABI in the return address
  • YOUR BIRTH CONTROL
  • drug information sheet
  • free ZABI condom
  • NEW ORDERS: will also receive a super cute ZABI sticker with a handwritten thank you note on the back! (They really do love their customers and want them to feel appreciated)

Hannah is currently trying to broaden their services to include emergency contraception (like Plan B), so that they can overnight this to customers (avoiding that potentially awkward trip to the pharmacy). 

“As we grow, we hope to continue developing our social media and blog presences to promote confidence in women and knowledge about contraception as well as open dialogue. Anyone can contact us with questions about birth control or safe sex and our pharmacist will provide them with accurate information.” -Hannah

That being said, Hannah’s mom has joined her team as the company’s primary pharmacist! Talk about girl power in that family!

The Zabi team anticipates the possibility of partnering with a non-profit in some capacity to help support women’s access to family planning.  While that is one of their goals, this is not a reality yet as they are still very young and focusing on growing their company and gaining a good customer base. 

Zabi won the Sewanee 2014 Entrepreneurial Challenge due to Hannah’s hard work and was also a finalist in the TN University Venture Challenge sponsored by LaunchTN.

Hannah’s first customer was one of her best friends supporting her, which she appreciates as she is now able to start reaching girls across the state.  Zabi is currently available throughout the state of Tennessee, and is gaining the attention of girls on major college campuses like UTK.  Expanding through the Southeast is an eventual goal, but first Hannah’s team wants to focus on growing within Tennessee as much as they can. 

Try it for yourself, and SPREAD THE WORD!

website: ourzabi.com

social media: @ourzabi [Instagram, Facebook, Twitter]

join the cause: email orders@ourzabi.com

“We sell birth control, what we believe in is women.” -Hannah

*YGG Hannah! Keep pursuing your dreams of giving women convenience, connection, and cause – allowing women to take control of their lives*

SaveSave

SaveSave

Madi is a Senior from Asheville, North Carolina. She has written for the Sewanee chapter of Her Campus since it was founded her Freshman year, and hopes to continue writing after graduation either as a journalist or through work in Public Relations. She loves laughing and hearing people's life stories!