A Nerd’s Review: Deadpool (2016)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Lemme’ tell you how absolutely bada*s amazing Deadpool was and why you should ALL go see it (like right now. Go. I’ll wait.)

Back? Oh good! ONWARD WITH THE REVIEW THEN (kind of redundant since you’ve just now seen it, but hey, now you can just nod along and agree with me).

Alright so Deadpool cost the company about $58 million to make, which woah those dollar signs, but within the first weekend it made $132.7 million. Not even factoring in the money it made from its appearances abroad. Just. Those dollar signs. I can’t even.

Now some people are griping about the humor in Deadpool. And what I got to say is, why you mad?

You would think it’s the nerds raging but nah, it’s the non-nerds that are really freaking out over Deadpool and you want to know why?

It’s because the movie is rated-R and some people willfully ignore that. Listen: This movie has sexual jokes and crude humor for sure and yes, as a nerd I can tell you that Deadpool would 100% say the majority of things in the film. But that isn’t where the best comedy comes from! It’s the subtle humor that really gets you. Any by that I mean:

1. The multiple breakings of the fourth wall (so totally classic Deadpool);

2.  The huge subtle hints to the other movies (so much shade though);

(No this one isn’t subtle because the movie isn’t out yet and I’m working with a limited amount of gifs, cut me some slack.)

3.  The various Easter eggs hidden throughout the movie (all the comic book references and jabs at Wolverine Origins and Green Lantern had me basically crying from laughter);

(Again, working with limited gifs. Including this one because it’s a nice little Easter Egg. Negasonic is actually a student of Emma Frost’s and a member of the Hell Fire club- our Merc with a Mouth’s hang out- but the writers really wanted her in the movie because her name is cool so they made her an X-Man, go figure.)

It’s all things that we as comic book/anime/cartoon/Deadpool lovers adore and yeah, it’s kind of what the majority of us were hoping to get out of the movie. Especially after what they did to Deadpool in that awful Origins story (but we don’t talk about that).

4.  And fight scenes? Oh yeah, look no further! Deadpool comes at us with his signature swag, brandishing his Katanas, and just generally being a bonafide bada*s in the fighting department. The creators also do not shy away from the nitty-gritty so expect to see all the deliciously dirty details (I’m talking exploding brains here, people).

While there is a love-story aspect, it’s not overbearing and doesn’t cover up or take away from the subtle glories of the movie. So I chose to just ignore it. Although the female characters aren’t that bad, and that’s something I can appreciate (but let’s be honest, I’m watching it for DP).

Ryan Reynolds did an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G job as the character. He delivered the sass, wit, facial expressions (while wearing a mask the majority of the time, mind you), and body movement that Deadpool is pretty much known for. Say what you want about him as an actor, but he did a splendid job and made a downright perfect Deadpool. So don’t bash him, or, well-

And is anybody else noticing how even with a full-body suit on, Deadpool still has more facial expressions than Kristen Stewart? Or is that just me? #sorryboutit

Anyway, to wrap up this lovely rant (although I can talk about Deadpool for days if anyone wants to continue, just look me up)-

GO SEE DEADPOOL IF YOU HAVEN’T ALREADY! GO! GIVE YOUR MONEY! DO IT!

PS to my nerds out there, get hyped, this isn’t the last we’ve seen of this universe and stay tuned for more reviews/rants~ Warning: My Suicide Squad rant is going to be absolutely brutal.

Born and raised in Dandridge, TN, Taylor is a simple pre-law anthropology major and is a fan of anything cute/fluffy, reading, tea/coffee, and cats. Her patronus is Harley Quinn.