This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

With Halloween just days away, I thought that it was high time for me to finally decorated my dorm room! I’ve noticed painted pumpkins becoming extremely popular over the past couple of years, and as someone who is absolutely repulsed by the smell of pumpkin guts, I thought that painting a pumpking would be the perfect Halloween decoration to make. After a quick Google search for ideas, I found these adorable donut pumpkins and decided to try to replicate them.

In order to make these donut painted pumpkins, you will need:

1. Three small pumpkins
  2. Acrylic paints in various colors
  3. Paint brushes of various sizes
  4. A cup of water to wash your brushes in
  5. Some paper towels on which to dry your pumpkins

(Side note: shout out to my artsy boyfriend, who was an enormous amount of help during the early stages of this project. You rock!)  

First of all, I bought a bag of five, small pumpkins from Walmart and chose the three that seemed to be the most similar in size.

I chose a tan color out of the pack of acrylic paints (also from Walmart) that seemed to be the most appropriate for the “cake” part of the donut and began to to paint. However, what my boyfriend and I quickly discovered was that the tan color blended in with the orange of the pumpkin, making it very hard to get an opaque look. In retrospect, I probably should have used some of those small, white gourds that resemble pumpkins, but at the time, I was determined to work with what I had. After several hours of fruitless attempts to coat the pumpkins with tan paint, I gave up and painted on the icing.

While it still took several coats of paint in order to get the icing looking opaque, it was a much easier task than working with the tan paint. Thankfully, I was finally able to mix a suitable tan color that actually showed up on the pumpkin using a mixture of light yellow, brown, orange, and white paint. Once this layer of tan paint dried, I painted sprinkles on the top of the pumpkins using a small, thin brush and red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple paint. Here’s the final result:

I’ll admit that they’re not quite Pintrest quality, but these donut painted pumpkins still look precious sitting on my desk! It’s a relatively simple, inexpensive D.I.Y. craft that’s perfect for folks with a little time on their hands who want to get into that Halloween spirit. Plus, who doesn’t love donuts? If I had to do it over again, there are some things I would change, but overall, I had a ton of fun making these adorable little Halloween decorations!

Emily Daniel loves writing, which is a good thing because as an English major, she does a lot of it. She also loves Disney movies, musicals, Spider-Man, chai lattes, and writing about herself in the third person.