This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

As we say goodbye to the warmth of summer and start preparing ourselves for winter, picking out an outfit can become somewhat of a toughie. But thankfully, the perks of layering come into play and we’re able to not only keep our fantastic styles in focus, but we get to stay warm and cozy while doing so! Here are a couple of ideas on how to utilize layering in some of your outfits during these chilly days coming up.

Outfit 1: Looking for the perfect pants to keep you warm? Don’t shy away from corduroys. Paired with a nice longsleeve and a cardigan, with a blazer for an extra layer you can easily take off and a coat, they’re a solid option. Wrap a scarf around your neck and slip on some booties, along with your choice of accessories and you’re ready to go!

Outfit 2: Just because the warm weather’s gone doesn’t mean the number of times you wear a dress has to as well. Tights are a great option to go with a longsleeved dress, and on top of that a knitted sweater. Add a vest for a fun element, and cover up from the outside temperatures with a stylish trench. Pair your dressed-up dress with a pair of Frye booties.

The best part of layering is that once you peel the coat off, not only are you still safe from the elements but your outfit still works together really well! Don’t be afraid to peel off layers when you get toasty, or keep them on if you like how it looks.

Hailing from Silver Spring, Maryland, Tariro is a bubbly and active student-athlete who's so glad that there's Nutella at McClurg and Skype to call back home. She loves writing, reading, and cracking jokes whenever her friends are around.