Last-minute Cooler Painting Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Spring formal season is upon us, ladies. For many of you, this means “away” formals (AKA an excuse to go party somewhere off campus with your friends). Time to bring out your inner artist and paint your date a cooler to hold his cold beverages. In case you’re not the Michelangelo of cooler painting, here are a few tips to make your date’s cooler look like a masterpiece without the hours of grueling labor.

1.     KEEP IT SIMPLE

If you know you aren’t very artistic, don’t try to do anything out of your range of capability. I promise, your date will appreciate any effort that you put into it. 

2.     Tracing from your laptop

Using parchment paper placed on your laptop, trace the outline of your design using a pencil. Then place the parchment paper on your cooler and trace the pencil with a Sharpie. The outline of the design will bleed through the parchment paper so you can paint something very complicated easily.

3.    Ask a friend for help

Are you friends with an art major? Is your roommate super crafty? Use that to your advantage!! They will be more than happy to help you with ideas or even the painting. This can be a major life saver. 

1.     It’s what’s on the inside that counts.

Remember, the most important thing about the cooler is what goes INSIDE the cooler. In all likelihood, your date won’t care about the display of your artistic abilities as long as the cooler is full.