The “Historical” Tales of Highlanders, Wellingtons, and Los Peones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

In honor of Fall Party/Homecoming/Alumni Weekend, here’s a loosely-factual history lesson and pictures of Highlanders, Wellingtons, and Los Peones from the 1960s.

Highlanders (1960)

Los Peones (1960)

“To be eligible for membership in Los Peones one must have either taken Spanish or be taking it at the time of his initiation into the group or be acquainted with the heritage of that sunny land south of the border. The Los Peones keep alive the traditions of the oldest segment of post-Columbian North American culture. They wear as their distinguishing costumes  sombreros, serapes, and other articles of clothing reminiscent of Old Mexico. The Los Peones maintain that their purposes are “to stimulate conversational Spanish, promote fellowship on the campus, and study the social customs of Spain.” The biggest push toward these goals usually comes on party weekends.” – Cap and Gown, 1960

Wellingtons (1960)

Highlanders (1961)

“Scottish kilts, sporrans, and bagpipes are the distinguishing dress of the Highlanders, one of the truly “social” clubs on the Mountain. The group’s noble purpose is “to increase and disseminate appreciation of Scottish customs and institutions among the student body.” In order to facilitate this praiseworthy objective, there are gatherings of the clan on special occasions during the year at which the Highlanders steep themselves in the culture and spirits of Scotland. The Highlanders represent the freedom and unrestraint of the Scottish highlands, operating happily oblivious to the usually staid Sewanee ethos. The raving Scots are justly renowned for their inspiring, impromptu performances at football games.” – Cap and Gown, 1961

Los Peones (1961)

Wellingtons (1961)

Highlanders (1963)

“It was 362 years after the tragic execution of Mary, Queen of Scots, when the noble sons of Scotland, clad in their traditional kilts, organized a brotherhood of Highlanders on the Mountain.

According to an untraceable sub rosa legend, these Scottish lords, as members of the Highlanders, are direct descendants of the bold Scots who appeared in Elizabeth Taylor’s first flick, A Bonny Bit of Lass.

The motto of the Highlanders is ‘N a bonny to ‘e.” The exact meaning of these words is shrouded in imported Scottish mist. The last mortal to fully understand this sinister phrase was the late, beloved, yet beheaded, Queen. Several high Highlander officials, however, have indicated that this mystic phrase somehow involves whatever there is under the kilt.

The Highlanders have many noble traditions; paramount among these is their tradition of party weekend ‘Roo-ha-ha.’” – Cap and Gown, 1963

Los Peones (1963)

Wellingtons (1963)

“One dry summer afternoon in the summer of 1948 a group of Sewanee men decided to organize the Wellington Club, an organization dedicated to the perpetuation of English ideals and customs.

These notable peers (all of approximately high birth and noble background) are governed by the Prime Minister, Sir Robert Baker; the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Rather Rev. Peyton Bibb; the Keeper of the Privy Seal, William Stirling, the Younger; and the Lord Chancellor of the Exchequer, Richard Greene.

No longer do the lords of the Wellingtons wear white powdered wigs, but rather the stately, dark, flowing capes, suitable to so reserved, correct, and formal an aristocracy.” – Cap and Gown, 1963

Highlanders (1968)

Los Peones (1968)

“The Los Peones returned to the Mountain after a two-year sabbatical provided by the University in September of 1965. After banding together in a joint charter with the other two orders, the Peons returned to their normal colorful life.

According to rumor, the Los Peones were formed under a charter from Isabella in order to bring the new world a bit of Old World culture, but in actuality the Order came into being in 1948 as a culminating inspiration of a one month grain binge by a group of degenerate students. Being nude at the time they wrapped themselves in curtains and rugs and proceeded to march down the streets of Boys Town, Mexico, screaming “Vivelos M.F.” Since this momentous day they have done a commendable job of keeping alive the spirit and tradition of the Spanish-speaking nations.

Contrary to the vicious rumors fabricated by the Wellingtons and the Highlanders, the Peons are an officially organized social order.” – Cap and Gown, 1968

Wellingtons (1968)

“The Wellington Club is a society of the Noble Peers of the Realm based on the Medieval English Feudal System. An air of pompous dignity is maintained by blue capes, bowlers, and umbrellas in keeping with our aristocratic background.

Early this year at the Battle of Drinkwater, the Infidel, Deano the Magnificent, was finally repulsed after a two year reign during which the society was forced underground.

The club is ably administered by the Prime Minister, the Lord of Catsborough, and divine blessing is invoked on all by the Archbishop of Canterbury, the more than Reverent Earl of Coal Manor, the Younger. The Lord Chancellor of the Exchequer and Keeper of the Privy Seal, the noble Duke of Burnshire, successfully oversees the treasury, still somewhat underground.

Seriously adhered to is the society’s motto, inherited from our original forebears: ‘Veni, Vidi, Consumpti, Pepti.’

Freely translated: ‘I came, I saw, I chugalugged, I inwardly digested.’” – Cap and Gown, 1968

Sarah Christie, C'16, is a biochemistry major and French minor at Sewanee. When she graduates, she wants to go to vet school. She loves dancing like nobody is watching, meeting new people, eating Pub food, riding horses, and writing for Her Campus.