The Hallmark Christmas Movie Drinking Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

This evening, I had the pleasure of trying out the Hallmark Movie Drinking Game with my family.  If you’ve never seen one of these films, the basic idea is that they are entirely predictable, Christmas fluff. The fact that so many characters and plot points reappear in nearly all of them makes these movies ideal for a drinking game.  The rules are as follows:

1. Drink every time a dead relative is referenced (This one will account for most of your sips)
  2. Drink when a character has a Christmas related name
  3. Drink when a city person has to move to a small town
  4. Drink when fake Christmas trees are insulted
  5. Drink when a newcomer takes part in an old family or town tradition
  6. Drink when there’s mistletoe
  7. Drink anytime you hear jingle bells
  8. Drink when someone bakes cookies or goes caroling
  9. Drink twice when there’s a ‘near miss kiss’ (there will be at least two of these)
  10. Drink twice when there’s obvious product placement
  11. Drink twice when there’s a snowball fight or ice skating
  12. Drink twice when someone wears an ugly Christmas sweater or tie
  13. Finish your drink when the cynic is filled with the spirit of Christmas
  14. Finish your drink when it snows on Christmas!
  15. Take a shot if the movie stars Candace Cameron Bure or Lacey Chabert

My mom loves these movies, the rest of our family not so much, so the drinking game made for a fantastic happy medium.  My mom got to watch her movie about an average New Yorker falling in love with the prince of a country populated entirely by English speaking white people and the rest of the family got to drink.  And boy did we! These wonderful movies give ample opportunities to drink.

I would highly recommend the Hallmark Christmas Movie Drinking Game for your next girls’ night, or for a fun family activity during the holiday season.  If you don’t have access to the Hallmark Channel, there are tons of these movies on Netflix for easy access.  Just search ‘Christmas’ and you’ll find plenty.

As always, drink responsibly and have fun!

Carley Roe

Sewanee '18

Carley is currently a senior.  She is a psych major with an education minor, because she really likes kids and talking about her feelings.  Carley is from Columbus, Ohio and relocated to the south for the "better weather".  She loves dogs, horses, nail polish, dresses, and bows. In her free time she enjoys texting her mom, horseback riding, reading, and netflix.  Her dislikes include jogging, being cold, and eels.  Learn more about her here!