A Graduating Senior’s Open Letter to the Incoming Freshman Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Dear Class of 2021,

First things first, I feel that a hearty “congratulations!” are in order. Clearly, you’ve worked very hard to get where you are today—Sewanee doesn’t accept just anybody, after all—and you totally deserve to be recognized for your accomplishments. Also, welcome! There’s no doubt in my mind that everyone on the Mountain is unbearably excited to have you as part of our newest freshman class. Hopefully, you’re excited, too. You have an amazing four years ahead of you.

In case you’re wondering… Hi, my name’s Emily. I’m a senior English major with a minor in Education from Chattanooga, Tennessee. I’m only weeks away from graduation as I write this, so I thought I’d take this time to look back on my own Sewanee experience, as well as offer a little advice to our incoming freshman class. It’s nothing fancy, just a couple of things I wish I had known when I was in your shoes. I hope it’s helpful to you.

This is totally a cliche, but in my experience, surviving college is all about maintaining a balance. You came to Sewanee to get an education, and your first priority should always be your schoolwork, but your personal interactions are also an incredibly important aspect of your college career. During your time here, you’re going to learn so much more than just statistics or chemistry or European history, you’re going to learn life skills—like how to manage your time and money, how to use your unique strengths to accomplish a task, and how get along with people who are different than you. Unfortunately, if you’re anything like me, you’re going to learn a lot of these lessons by screwing up the first time and then having to fix it, but that’s okay. You’re young and you’re resilient. At this point in your life, you can bounce back from most mistakes that you make. The most important thing is that you learn from those mistakes and don’t let the fear of failure keep you from trying again. Most importantly, please don’t be ashamed to ask for help. No matter what you’re going through, there are people here who can help you. I know it isn’t always easy, but believe me, it is far better to speak up for yourself than to suffer in silence.

Secondly, I know it’s easy to get caught up in the day-to-day grind of classes and homework, but try to make the most of your time here. I know that right now, four years seems like forever, but trust me, it will go by quicker than you can ever imagine. In all likelihood, you will never be in a situation quite like this again, so try to take advantage of all of the amazing opportunities you have. And I don’t just mean going to parties on the weekends, although you can do that too, if you want. (Just be safe. Please, please be safe.) I’m talking about lectures, concerts, film screenings, plays, and sporting events. So much is constanty going on on this campus, and it can be tempting to skip it because you’re tired from a long day or you don’t have friends to go with, but you could be missing out on some really amazing experiences. I definitely wish I had gone to a lot more events during my time here.

Finally, try to have a little bit of perspective. Don’t get me wrong, a lot of big, life-changing things are going to happen to you while you’re here, and I would never want to minimize those experiences, but some things, although they seem really, super important in the moment, aren’t going to turn out to be that big of a deal in the long run. Don’t let stress and negativity consume your life. This, too, shall pass. Things are going to get better, and you are make it through this experience because you are stronger than you could ever imagine. In the end, I think that’s the most important lesson Sewanee has taught me. Throughout my four years here, I’ve learned that I am capable of far more than I thought I was. I’ve withstood incredible pain, I’ve accomplished remarkable things, and I’ve grown so much that I hardly recognize the person I was when I started. I know that it will be the same way for you, and that’s a good thing. College is all about figuring out who you are, and a really important component of that is learning that you’re a lot tougher than you think.

Like I said, you have an amazing four years ahead of you, and I know you’re going to do great.

Best of luck! YSR!

Sincerely,

Emily Daniel, C’17

Emily Daniel loves writing, which is a good thing because as an English major, she does a lot of it. She also loves Disney movies, musicals, Spider-Man, chai lattes, and writing about herself in the third person.