Galentine’s Day: Celebrating Women’s Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Happy Galentine’s Day!

For those of you who have never heard of this spectacular occasion, let me fill you in. Leslie Knope, the lead character in Parks and Recreation (and also the heroine of the entire universe, basically) celebrates “Galentine’s Day” every year on the day before Valentines Day. According to the show’s website, “every February 13th, Leslie Knope and her lady friends leave their husbands and their boyfriends and just kick it breakfast style. Ladies celebrating ladies.” 

Ladies celebrating ladies? Yes, please! In a society that constantly pits women against each other (i.e. polls like “Who Wore It Better?”, shows like The Bachelor, and magazines spewing headlines about the latest “feud” between female celebrities), it can sometimes seem like women are always putting each other down.

So, this Galentine’s Day (well, every day really, but especially today), take the time to appreciate and celebrate all the lady friends in your life. Go out to lunch, have a girls’ night in, go out and see Fifty Shades of Grey…it doesn’t matter what you do, it’s who you’re doing it with.

To set the scene for the best day of the year, here are some of Hollywood’s leading ladies talking about why they think women’s friendship is so important.

“Girls get competitive, as though there’s only one spot in the world for everything — but that’s not true. We need to stick together and see there’s more to life than pleasing men. It’s important not to cut yourself off from female friendships. I think sometimes girls get scared of other girls, but you need each other.” – Zooey Deschanel

“If I murdered someone, she’s the person I’d call to help me drag the corpse across the living room floor. She’s my person.” – Sandra Oh (as Cristina Yang in Grey’s Anatomy)

“There is nothing like a conversation with a woman with a woman who understands you. I grow so much from those conversations.” – Beyoncé

“A friendship between college girls is grander and more dramatic than any romance.” – Lena Dunham (as Hannah Horvath in Girls)

“True friends are like diamonds—bright, beautiful, valuable and always in style.” – Nicole Ritchie

“The best way to mend a broken heart is time and girlfriends.” – Gweneth Paltrow

“Ovaries before brovaries.” Amy Poehler (as Leslie Knope in Parks and Recreation)

So, all in all, it doesn’t matter whether or not you are in a relationship, or whether you love or hate Valentine’s Day; Galentine’s Day is all about the girls in your life who get you through it all. No flowers or teddy bears required. (But chocolate is always a good idea, 24/7/365.)`

Annie is a senior English major and Women's and Gender Studies minor from Macon, GA.