“The Force is Strong with this One”: Most Anticipated films of 2015/16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

There are so many great things about living up here on the mountain: the beautiful domain, the friendly people, and the wonderful milkshakes served at Stirlings. However, the downside to living on a mountain is that we live in this gigantic bubble; almost shut off from the outside world, which in some cases is nice, but then you miss out on critical problems in real world events, social issues, and economic crisis; but most importantly, we experience a lack of knowledge about upcoming movies and releases! Okay, so maybe movies aren’t the most important topic in the world to some people. However, movies help us, like the mountain, to escape for a little while into our own world full of wizards, dragons, and dashingly handsome gentlemen. So here are some of the most anticipated movies for the 2015/16-year (that you might have had no clue existed)!

Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2

The final conclusion to easily one of the most popular and successful book adaption of the 2010’s, Katniss confronts the capital for the last time with Peeta, Gale, and others as they try to liberate the citizens of Panem from the corrupt President Snow.

Based on The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth

Release date: November 20, 2015

The Danish Girl

Eddie Redmayne is a) adorable and b) a FANTASTIC actor – What’s not to love? Redmayne earned critical acclaim and an Academy Award earlier this year for his portrayal of Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything and after The Danish girl’s release it won’t be that surprising if he pulls a Tom Hanks at next year’s Oscars. The Danish Girl gives a fictionalized account of the inspiring story of Lili Elbe – the first known successfully operated transgender woman.

Based on the 2000 novel of the same name by David Ebershoff

Starring: Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander

Release date: November 27, 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Jedi’s, dark lords, and light sabers galore! Okay, so this film has probably been the MOST talked about film since its inception a few years ago, but still with the rapidly approaching release date it’s sure one to see this holiday. The last film released of the legendary Star Wars film franchise came out when we were in elementary school, however- seen them or not, love them, hate them – Star Wars is not only the most recognizable film franchise in perhaps the world, but one of the most loved series in cinematic history!  This film takes place 30 years after the events of the Return of the Jedi and follows unforgettable characters Hans Solo, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and others.

Starring Harrison ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher

Release date: December 18, 2015

The Hateful Eight

Everyone can say they have seen (or at least heard of) a Quentin Tarantino film. Love them or hate them, he has created some of the most memorable, and violent, works of art, such as Kill Bill, Inglorious Bastards, and Django Unchained. The Hateful Eight takes place post Civil War in the blistery Wyoming winter.  As a blizzard forces eight strangers– bounty hunters, fugitives, and renegades, oh my- to take shelter in a stagecoach Passover, they all begin to wonder if they will make it to Red Rock after all.

Starring: Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Samuel L. Jackson

Release date: January 8, 2016

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Just when you thought the story of the vengeful dark knight was over, Bruce Wayne is back and moodier than ever! Although we aren’t blessed with looking at the handsome Christian Bale’s face for 2.5 hours, we do have Henry Cavill, who will reprise his role as Superman from the 2013 film Man of Steel. This mash-up of DC Comics two most beloved superheroes follows Bruce Wayne as he travels to Metropolis to fight Superman, whom he sees as a threat; all the while a new villain may force the two heroes to work together to save mankind, nbd.

Starring: Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill

Release date: March 25, 2016

The Jungle Book

Another Disney classic, based on Rudyard Kipling’s timeless The Jungle Book, combines live action and incredible CGI effects to bring to life the adventures of Mowgli, Baloo, and other loveable characters. While the visually stunning trailer showcases a darker, and almost scary, side contrast to the light hearted and musically inclined animals, this film will no doubt stun and move us all.

Starring: Bill Murray, Idris Elba, Lupitia Nyong’o, Scarlet Johansson, and Christopher Walken

Release date: April 15, 2016

Finding Dory

Ask anyone around the ages of 16-25 some of their favorite childhood movies and it’s pretty likely that Finding Nemo is one of those films. Distributed in 2004, Finding Nemo is a favorite amongst kids and adults and arguably the most memorable in our generation’s childhood. So when Pixar and Disney (and Ellen herself) announced a sequel more than ten years after it’s release it’s no wonder some of us “kids” squealed with excitement. Coming to theaters in 2016, Finding Dory explores the adventures of our favorite forgettable fish!

Starring: Ellen DeGeneres and Albert Brooks

Release date: June 17, 2016

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

CALLING ALL BOOK LOVERS!

In the last few years the entertainment industry has seen a huge increase in the adaptation of novels to feature films, which has also been proven successful as the majority has received numerous and prestigious accolades, even Academy Awards. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, a young adult novel by Ransom Riggs, already has the makings of a successful and acclaimed film: an all star cast, director (Tim Burton), and dedicated fans. The story follows 16 year-old Jacob Portman who, after his grandfather’s mysterious death, travels to the island which holds Miss Peregrine’s home for peculiar orphans as he to piece back the puzzle of  what really happened to his grandfather, and the other children, at this school.

Starring Asa Butterfield, Eva Green, and Samuel L. Jackson

Release date: December 25, 2016

Jennie is a Sophomore from Williamsburg, Virginia. she's fond of classic films, Jane Austen, bulldogs, and dressing up. She considers Audrey Hepburn and her mom to be her biggest role models.