Football Guide for Super Bowl 50

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

For everyone who watches the Super Bowl for the half-time show and costly commercials ($5million for 30 seconds of air), here are some quick facts to entertain you between commercial breaks.

For any term confusion, reference the endnotes (*).

Date: Sunday, February 7, 2016

Time: 5:35 PM CST

Channel: CBS

Halftime Show: Coldplay featuring Beyonce and Bruno Mars

Who’s playing: Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos

Panthers Quarterback*: Cam Newton (only player in NFL with 35+ passing touchdowns* and 10+ rushing touchdowns*)

Broncos Quarterback: Peyton Manning (Despite being benched for part of the season with an injury, Manning is the first QB to lead two teams to multiple Super Bowls)

Notable Panthers Players: Von Miller (linebacker* who leads the Broncos #1 defense in sacks this season); Greg Olsen (pro bowl tight end* and QB Newton’s top target); Jonathan Stewart (pro bowl running back*)

Notable Broncos Players: Luke Kuechly (linebacker with 4 interceptions and 118 tackles this season); Demaryius Thomas (veteran receiver* with 105 receptions for 1,304 yards and six touchdowns); Ronnie Hillman (running back with an average of 4.7 yards per carry)

Stats and Facts:

In 2015, Broncos had 11 wins by seven points or less.

Peyton Manning will be the oldest QB to play in a Super Bowl (age 39).

Panthers finished their season 15-1. None of the past four teams to finish 15-1 or better have won the Super Bowl (Green Bay in 2011, New England in 2007, Pittsburgh in 2004, Minnesota in 1998).

Endnotes (*):

quarterback (QB) – that player that throws the ball to other players

passing touchdown – the quarterback throws the football to a player standing in the end zone for 6 points

rushing touchdown – a player runs into the end zone for 6 points

linebacker – you’ll see these defensive players trying to tackle the quarterback when he’s throwing the ball

tight end – no it has nothing to do with his rear end; he’s a big player who lines up on the line of scrimmage and blocks, catches and runs the ball.

running back – player who lines up close to the quarterback and runs the ball

receiver – player who catches the ball

Sarah Christie, C'16, is a biochemistry major and French minor at Sewanee. When she graduates, she wants to go to vet school. She loves dancing like nobody is watching, meeting new people, eating Pub food, riding horses, and writing for Her Campus.