Style > Beauty

FINALLY: A Legit Beauty Salon just 5 Minutes from Campus!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Let’s face it: as Sewanee women, we’ve all likely experienced that sinking feeling when we realize that the nearest mani/pedi places are in Manchester, the best haircare places for anything other than a good trim (no offense, Tabatha!) are in Chattanooga or Nashville, and the few decent tanning salons in the relatively near vicinity require at least a half hour drive. Though these beauty services are admittedly luxuries that most Sewanee women can totally live without, I’d bet my last Pub Buck that every Sewanee girl has, at least once in her time on the Mountain, wished that one or more of these pampering services were more readily accessible.  

Well girls, the answer to our prayers is finally here. New Wave Salon, which had been an under-the-radar establishment in Monteagle for several years, came under new ownership in August and has since undergone a series of renovations and upgrades, in addition to enhancing their beauty services. The once dingy, little-known tanning salon is now a brightly-colored, clean beauty salon that provides professional hair, nail, and tanning services identical to the ones you drive hours to get in other cities. I’m dead serious, this place is what I have been wishing for since freshman year (well that, and a Chick-Fil-A on University Avenue, but baby steps I guess). AND NOW MY DREAMS ARE FINALLY A REALITY!

Exhibit A:

Treating myself in New Wave’s new pedi chair! (P.S. notice my tan! I had just gotten out of one of New Wave’s brand new tanning beds!)

Exhibit B:

Cheerleader Betsy’s blonde, Barbie-escue locks and Katherine’s perfectly curled pony were crafted by New Wave’s seriously gifted hairstylist, Eliza! 

So seriously girls (and guys!), if you find yourself in need of a little pampering, want a new fresh ‘do, a sexy blowout for a Greek formal, or just want to keep a little summer glow throughout the fall and winter months, New Wave is THE place to go. See below for details and prices!

Where:16 Laurel Lake Drive, Monteagle. AKA – literally across the street from the Assembly and right next door to Mountain Goat Market.

Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10am-6pm

Services and Prices: 

Tanning:

• $35/month unlimited (which is seriously a steal)
  •  $25 for 60 minutes
  •  $35 for 100 minutes

Hair:

• Shampoo, cut, and style: $25
  • Coloring: starts at $40
  • Highlights/lowlights: starts at $45
  • Eyebrow waxing: $10
  • Extensions: pricing upon request

Nails:

• Pedicure: $25
  • Manicure: $15 (extra $5 for French manicure)
  • And be on the lookout for a nail technician coming to the salon in the near future, who speicalizes in acrylics! 

Be sure to check out and like their Facebook Page, where they announce deals, specials, and customer appreciation days! Treat yo’ self, ladies! 

Annie is a senior English major and Women's and Gender Studies minor from Macon, GA.