Escape Sewanee with Escape Experience Chattanooga!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Sewanee has tons to offer for weekend activities, and there’s always somewhere to go when you’re looking to take a break from the stress of studying, but it’s always good to branch out. Last weekend, I discovered the perfect place!  Escape Experience in Chattanooga was easily one of the most fun places I’ve been since coming to Sewanee.

If you’ve never heard of escape rooms, they’ve become a cool trend recently.  Basically, they’re giant themed puzzle games, where you have to solve riddles and problems to escape the room in time.  It’s a fantastic way to build leadership and cooperation skills. 

I went with several of my sorority sisters, and thought it was a really enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.  I learned a lot about how my friends handle stressful situations, and I was really pleased to see that they were calm and logical, even when things got creepy! I think Escape Experience is a great alternative to the run of the mill haunted house because they aren’t just out to startle you.  When you go into the room, it feels like the stakes are high, like you have to beat the clock and escape in time.  Also, they’re way more intellectually stimulating, and everyone had a chance to use their skills.  I learned that each of us were good at specific types of puzzles and problems, and there was something for all of us.  It was a real confidence booster whenever I got to be the one to solve a puzzle, find a key, or notice something we hadn’t yet discovered. 

I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a nerd, so this sort of thing is right up my alley.  I got to feel like I was the star of a zombie movie for an hour, which was totally awesome! But honestly, I would recommend this to just about everyone.  It might be something to avoid if you’re easily scared, but other than that it’s a really great time.  I’d especially like to do it with my significant other and a few other couples.  It would be such a unique group date, and I’d get to see how he handles “life and death” situations.  If you’re ever bored and looking for a way to spend an afternoon, grab nine of your coolest friends and head to Chattanooga Escape Experience!

Sewanee’s Alpha Delta Pis, who proudly escaped in the nick of time!

SaveSave

Carley Roe

Sewanee '18

Carley is currently a senior.  She is a psych major with an education minor, because she really likes kids and talking about her feelings.  Carley is from Columbus, Ohio and relocated to the south for the "better weather".  She loves dogs, horses, nail polish, dresses, and bows. In her free time she enjoys texting her mom, horseback riding, reading, and netflix.  Her dislikes include jogging, being cold, and eels.  Learn more about her here!