Deal or No Deal: Relationship Deal Breakers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Ok ladies, so you just met the man of your dreams, or so you thought. After getting to know him beyond that first impression, he did that one thing and you just “can’t even”… Let’s address some of those deal breakers. Whether you consider yourself a princess who deserves royal treatment or are super low maintenance, you are sure to agree with these women’s opininons:

Bad Hygiene 

• BO – that’s right, body odor… no thank you…
  • Dirty teeth – because if you look and see that they dont have a clean mouth, why would you want it kissing you? A person’s smile reveals a lot about them.  

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (sing it with me)

• If he doesn’t treat you well around his friends, that should be a sign that he doesn’t think you’re important to him.
  • Someone who talks more than he listens.
  • Texting other people the entire time he’s with you.
  • When he doesn’t try to get to know your friends or people that matter to you.
  • If he treats his mother badly, he will eventually do the same to you.
  • He should respect authority figures (keep an eye out for how he treats/speaks to his professors).
  • Over-the-top cussing is never acceptable.

Humility 

• Talking about how much money he has.
  • Cockiness in general.
  • Selfish and/or Self-absorbed.
  • Is overly aware of how attractive he is and lets you know it.

Similar interests are important to some extent

• Even if he doesn’t prefer the same music genre as you, you should still be able to have jam sessions when you want.
  • He should be willing to watch Disney movies with you (and in turn, treat you like a princess).
  • Having bad habits that you can’t stand (For example, smoking or chewing tobacco might be a huge no-no for some women).
  • Shallow conversations.
  • A lack of good communication will lead to major problems down the road.

Some general NOs

• Flirts with every girl he meets.
  • When he talks about his exes. 
  • Sloppy kissing (enough said).
  • Making it a goal to get blackout drunk every time he goes out; (He should be wanting to remember spending time with you).
  • Pressuring you do do things you aren’t comfortable with.
  • Whining/Lack of confidence (If he can’t be confident in himself, how will he be in a relationship?)
  • Forgets important things like your birthday or that you’re allergic to something.
  • Not loving animals, because who doesn’t love animals…but if you both don’t love animals, I guess that’s fine. 
  • Limiting your ambitions and not supporting your dreams.
  • Eating like his whole life depends on it (In the words of She’s the Man, “chew like you have a secret”).
  • Not being a gentleman (if you are like me and appreciate old-fashioned standards, he should pay for your dates and hold the door for you), but being respectful in general is always a must. 
  • Not knowing how to make you laugh.
  • Being clingy when you first start seeing each other.

SaveSaveSaveSave

Madi is a Senior from Asheville, North Carolina. She has written for the Sewanee chapter of Her Campus since it was founded her Freshman year, and hopes to continue writing after graduation either as a journalist or through work in Public Relations. She loves laughing and hearing people's life stories!