Clean Slate: “My Biggest Regret” Board

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

I recently came across a video that impacted me immensely. We have all seen the “Before I Die” boards around the world. Some of us have even written on them. But Strayer University recently put up a board in order to inspire people through different means. 

One day in New York City, there was a board put up with the simple words “Write Your Biggest Regret.” Many people came across the board throughout the day and wrote unique things that they wish they had done in life.  But one common theme was found – the word “NOT”. 

“They were about chances NOT taken, words NOT spoken, dreams NEVER pursued” the video tells us.

For something that could appear depressing in causing people to dwell on opportunities not taken, it had a twist implemented afterwards.  Every person was given an eraser.  They were able to erase their regrets. It allowed for cleansing and accepting the past.  After all, everything happens for a reason – all past actions lead to the opportunities you have today.

The board was left with the message “CLEAN SLATE.”

And the video leaves us with the message “Every day is a clean slate. Do the things you’ll regret NOT doing.”

Some days I have moments when I question whether or not I should have pursued acting, whether or not I said the wrong thing to someone, whether or not I am making the right decisions for my future.  But then I am reminded that this is not a healthy way of living. Dwelling on the past prohibits you from focusing on the future. 

So, Sewanee, I encourage you to leave behind things you wish you could have done. Stop living in the land of “what if.” Instead, accept that today is a new day and you are in a place where you can work towards your future goals. Don’t live saying “I’ll do it tomorrow.”  Do it today, because you never know when that goal or dream will become a regret. Live each day to the fullest.  Embrace your clean slate.

Madi is a Senior from Asheville, North Carolina. She has written for the Sewanee chapter of Her Campus since it was founded her Freshman year, and hopes to continue writing after graduation either as a journalist or through work in Public Relations. She loves laughing and hearing people's life stories!