Campus Cutie: Sarah Tillman Reeves C’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

You may have noticed that we have a lady in the position of President of the Order of the Gownsmen this year (something that has not happened for many years). But what you may not know is just how fun and inspiring she is! 

Name: Sarah Tillman Reeves

Nicknames: Tilly

Birthday: April 29

Class: 2017

Greek Organization: Phi Kappa Epsilon

Hometown: Selma, Alabama

Major: American Studies

Relationship status: In a Relationship

Extracurricular Activities: Tennis, Reading

Best Class You’ve taken at Sewanee: American Studies Junior Seminar (Un)Settling the West

Signature Pub Order: Egg and Cheese Wrap, tots, and all the condiments

Signature Dance Move: Any Beyonce choreography

Go-to McClurg Line: Vegan Line

What qualities do you find most attractive in boy/girl: Sense of humor, confidence, and intellect

Biggest Pet Peeve: When people use racial or homophobic slurs as insults

Spirit Animal: Koala bear

What is the most embarrassing song on your iTunes? Let’s just say I went through a dubstep phase in high school. . .

What is your most embarrassing Sewanee story? My sophomore year I set off the fire alarm at PKE early in the morning cooking oatmeal. I put a battery powered kettle on the stove top, thinking it was just a regular metal kettle, and I ended up making a huge mess, ruining the kettle and the burner on the stove. Everyone in the house was annoyed with me, as were the firefighters, because it was seven in the morning. One of the older, local firefighters still talks about it today.

Her Influence on Campus:

Many people think you are the first woman president of the Order of the Gownsmen…Is that true? And what is it like to be a woman in the position?

I think I am actually the third or fourth woman to be president. I hope my being OG president sends a powerful message that Sewanee is moving forward in terms of diversity and inclusion. I would love to see more female leadership on campus. It is an empowering feeling to be president of an organization that has been led predominantly by men.

What does being gowned mean to you?

My freshman year I constantly thought about earning my gown, as it had been a dream of mine to be gowned at the beginning of sophomore year. When I met that goal and was gowned, it felt somewhat anti-climactic afterwards until I became OG President. But on a day to day basis, my gown serves as a reminder that hard work pays off and also as a confidence booster.

What are your plans for the Order?

I have been trying to get people thinking and talking about the gown because I think it is a tradition that is slowly losing meaning and importance on campus. Last week we had a panel called Breaking Down the Gown, and we talked about the issues the gown faces as an organization that exists on the boundary of a governing body and honor society and also as something that can be viewed as exclusive. So I want to continue to have more critical discussions about the Gown such as that, and I want the Order to be more involved on campus. My ultimate goal is to change the name of the Order to “Order of the Gown.”

Where do you see the Order going in the future?

I think the Order will always exist at Sewanee due to its long history here, but I firmly believe that if some changes are not made, the Order will simply exist on a superficial level.

How do your friends view the Gown outside of Sewanee, and how do you explain it to them?

In high school my friends, of course, made Harry Potter jokes, but when I explained to them that it is a tradition at Sewanee and an honor you receive for academic distinction, then they agreed that the gowns were pretty cool.

Where do you see yourself after graduation?

As of right now, I will be going on the Sewanee in Beaufort Maymester trip as a teaching assistant. Other than that, I am not sure.

SaveSave

SaveSave

Madi is a Senior from Asheville, North Carolina. She has written for the Sewanee chapter of Her Campus since it was founded her Freshman year, and hopes to continue writing after graduation either as a journalist or through work in Public Relations. She loves laughing and hearing people's life stories!