Campus Cutie: Jay Strickland C’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Meet Our Cutie! 

Name: Jay Strickland

Nicknames: No trademark nicknames, but occasionally people call me “Yaj” because they think they’re being clever (it’s “Jay” spelled backwards).

Birthday: May 19, 1997

Class: 2009

Greek Organization: Delta Kappa Epsilon (Deke)

Hometown: Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania

Major: Politics and Philosophy Double Major

Relationship status: Sadly Single

Extracurricular Activities: Lifting, Fishing, Fencing, Reading, and the occasional romantic walk on the beach.

Best Class You’ve taken at Sewanee: Democracy and Citizenship with Dahl

Signature Pub Order: My Pub addiction is borderline alarming, so Pub Jim knows my signature order as “The Usual” – two orders of wings and a Powerade (no, I don’t have a problem – I can stop whenever I want to..)

Signature Dance Move: Anyone who knows me knows that I am not the most graceful on the dance floor, but I can do a pretty mean Nae Nae.

Go-to McClurg Line: Usually the Stir-Fry (previously known as the “Wok”) is my go-to when Homeline fails to serve anything edible. If even that fails, I book a one way ticket to the “Pizza and Tears” line.

What qualities do you find most attractive in girl: I find a girl who is charming, witty, and unafraid to be herself incredibly attractive; a girl who is real, in her own perfectly-imperfect way, is a big turn on.

Biggest Pet Peeve: I hate when they can’t hear your order at the fast food drive-thru. I hate that. I really hate that.

Spirit Animal: My senior year of high school, I had an English teacher who lived on an Indian Reservation for several years. According to him, my spirit animal was a Gila Monster – symbolizing determination, balance, and self-realization (but watch out, he’s also poisonous, so haters beware!)

Weird Body Fact: Vicious scar from bear attack on right hand (but if you think that’s bad, you should see the bear!)

Describe your sexlife in a Movie Title: “The Rough Riders,” no question about it.

What is the most embarrassing song on your iTunes? “Who Let the Dogs Out” (I did, it was me).

What is your most embarrassing Sewanee story? Two months into my freshmen year, an SUV of gorgeous PKEs were pulling out from their house, and waved to me. Being the over-zealous freshmen I was, I frantically waved back with a dorky smile on my face – only to realize that they were waving to an upperclassman behind me. They laughed, and waved backed to me out of pity. I haven’t been to PKE since.

Here’s Why We Love Him! 

What has been your favorite Sewanee Memory?

My favorite Sewanee memory is probably being gowned in All Saints’ Chapel earlier this year, side by side with my family and my closest friends; moments like that are once in a lifetime.

What do you think has shaped you the most in your Sewanee experience?

I believe that out of all the experiences I’ve had here on the Mountain, what has shaped me the most is all the profound people I have come to know, and love. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without all their kindness and support. Sewanee attracts a special breed of person, and I am truly blessed to be among them.

Do you have any advice for Freshman as they are getting ready to take finals for the first time?

Drink a lot of coffee and pray (pray real hard).

What are you looking forward to most in your Sewanee career?

Growing into a well-rounded gentleman through all the diverse opportunities that Sewanee has to offer – A beautiful Domain, dedicated professors, exceptional individuals, and the ability to become whatever – and whomever – one has always dreamed of becoming.

Yea, Sewanee’s Right.

Madi is a Senior from Asheville, North Carolina. She has written for the Sewanee chapter of Her Campus since it was founded her Freshman year, and hopes to continue writing after graduation either as a journalist or through work in Public Relations. She loves laughing and hearing people's life stories!