Campus Cutie: Emily Gay C’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Meet Our Cutie!

Name: Emily Gay

Nicknames: Some of my friends call me “Em” and my Coach calls me “Emmi”

Birthday: June 9, 1995

Class: 2017

Greek Organization: Kappa Delta

Hometown: Richmond, VA

Major: Chemistry

Relationship status: S’single

Extracurricular Activities: Swimming

Best Class You’ve taken at Sewanee: Inorganic Chemistry with Dr. Bachman, it was hard but it blew my mind everyday

Signature Pub Order: Curly Fries

Signature Dance Move: I really don’t know about this one, it depends on my mood

Go-to McClurg Line: Home line for Breakfast!

What qualities do you find most attractive in boy/girl: a good work ethic and willingness to do goofy things

Biggest Pet Peeve: People repeatedly coming into class, meetings, or practice late

Spirit Animal: A beagle 

Weird Body Fact: My feet are really flexible. If I sit on the ground with my legs straight out and point my toes, my toes touch the floor.

What is the most embarrassing song on your iTunes? I have the whole soundtrack of Frozen

What is your most embarrassing Sewanee story? On an icy day last year I was walking from Hodgson to campus and I fell and slid all the way down that big hill.

Here’s why we love her!

What is it like being Head Proctor? Has your view of Sewanee changed at all since you’ve taken on this leadership role?

Being Head Proctor is incredibly rewarding, it has allowed me to build relationships with so many student leaders and staff. By seeing some of the ins and outs of Residential Life I have learned so much more about how Sewanee keeps its students safe. 

What is your biggest advice to freshman as they are beginning their first year at Sewanee?

Sewanee is a place where you can get involved in so many things. I think it is important to get involved in a few things that you are really interested in and enjoy because it will make your Sewanee experience even that much more exciting. 

Where do you see yourself after graduation? (Granted thank goodness we still have most of the year to figure details out!)

After graduation I see myself at engineering school as part of the 4-2 program studying Chemical Engineering!

Are there any things still on your Sewanee bucket list?

One thing that is still on my bucket list is being able to step on the seal without any concerns and I am so excited to get to do that in May!

SaveSave

Madi is a Senior from Asheville, North Carolina. She has written for the Sewanee chapter of Her Campus since it was founded her Freshman year, and hopes to continue writing after graduation either as a journalist or through work in Public Relations. She loves laughing and hearing people's life stories!