Campus Celebrities: Lauren and Alex Edwards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

As someone who has only taken one yoga class in my life, I went into Mountain Top Yoga a little skeptical. Would I be lost the whole time? Would I struggle through the whole thing? Would I look like an idiot? “No,” Alex said, “I remember my first class in which I struggled, sweated profusely, mumbled curses under my breath, and grudgingly came to terms with the fact that my mom’s friends…were in better shape than my teenage self.”

Alex and Lauren Edwards started Mountain Top Yoga in January 2013. As Lauren explained, “Since Sewanee didn’t seem to have a major studio in the area, we decided [to start one]. We could start something on our own to be able to continue practicing ourselves and share [yoga] with others.”

Lauren said, “Yoga has helped me both physically and mentally.  I feel healthier and more relaxed after each and every practice.  It has helped me to become more patient and be able to focus on whatever I am doing.”

Alex added, “The practice teaches mindfulness, and a willingness to try new things, meet yourself wherever you are, and to approach life in general with an open and positive heart.”

Alex and Lauren started taking yoga classes at ages 13 and 14, respectively, at Jiva Yoga Center in Hilton Head, SC, their hometown. The summer before Lauren’s sophomore year and Alex’s freshman year, they were certified to teach yoga classes and started to teach yoga classes back home. Alex joked, “Our aunt is also a yoga instructor so I guess you could say it runs in the family.” They both teach in a Vinyasa style of Hatha yoga. That basically means that each breath is linked to a movement. It is meant to be challenging, but also rhythmic. Alex said, “I really enjoy playing around with fun current music and some slower more typical ‘yoga music’.”

Alex and Lauren do a great job of making the class challenging, but also fun. Yoga is truly a full body workout. When I attended the class, I was so relaxed and comfortable. It was thrilling when I could do a pose that I wasn’t sure that I could do. But when someone messed up or struggled, everyone just laughed and moved on. “There are always a lot of giggles, and lots of chatter, and for the most part, a ton of energy, which is really fun to work with,” Alex explained.

Lauren and Alex both expressed how proud they are, when someone in their class masters a new pose or does something that they didn’t think that they could do. “People come to the mat to work through life, to move and work through physical, mental, and emotional baggage,” Alex said. “It makes me so proud and inspired to see people walk in the door and face those struggles in one way or another with the act of simply showing up.” Lauren added, “It is really special to see someone’s face light up and feel their energy and excitement.”

Lauren and Alex have brought an incredible resource to Sewanee that is not typically available in a small town. They offer a yoga class that is fun and an incredible workout. They offer yoga classes every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 5:30 in the BC. If you want to know more about their yoga classes, check out their Facebook page.

Also, Lauren wanted y’all to know, “Palmer Coleman is the funniest thing to happen to my yoga classes…If you pass her in McClurg, ask her about peace guns and happy babies.”

Sarah Christie, C'16, is a biochemistry major and French minor at Sewanee. When she graduates, she wants to go to vet school. She loves dancing like nobody is watching, meeting new people, eating Pub food, riding horses, and writing for Her Campus.